Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Christmas Visiting at The Spires

One of the joys of the last two years for me has been my storytelling at the Spires at Berry College. The Spires is a retirement center that serves seniors from those who are completely independent to those who need high levels of care. I do storytelling with three groups there. 

Once a month I lead a storytelling time for those who are most independent. I usually tell a story, often bringing an animal to show off,  and open the floor to anyone else who would like to tell at story. I was blessed to twice have John Schulz join me; I sure do miss him. And I could for many months count on a story from Leonard White who was a resident there and a wonderful storyteller himself. How I miss Leonard too. But we have several others who will occasionally share a bit of a story from their own experiences. We meet next this Thursday (December 15) at 2 pm. The staff at the Spires welcome any and all from the community who would like to come and join in the storytelling as a listener or a teller. So y'all come. The emphasis this week, of course, will be stories of the holiday season.

Almost every Tuesday I tell stories to two groups at the Magnolia Place building at the Spires. Those in the first group are folks with memory issues. Those in the second group have physical issues. What a blessing these folks have been to me the last two years.

Today rather than telling stories per se I recited (with printed copies in my hand just in case) several of my favorite Christmas poems. All three are available online so they are -- I think-- out of copyright. I'll share the here. All three are poems many of my former students will remember -- I think I recited each around this time of year most years that I taught. 

The first is a beautiful but heartbreaking fantasy by one of America's great poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay.

The Ballad of
the Harp Weaver

BY EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY


“Son,” said my mother,

  When I was knee-high,

“You’ve need of clothes to cover you,

  And not a rag have I.

 

“There’s nothing in the house

  To make a boy breeches,

Nor shears to cut a cloth with

  Nor thread to take stitches.

 

“There’s nothing in the house

  But a loaf-end of rye,

And a harp with a woman’s head

  Nobody will buy,”

  And she began to cry.

 

That was in the early fall.

  When came the late fall,

“Son,” she said, “the sight of you

Makes your mother’s blood crawl,–

 

“Little skinny shoulder-blades

  Sticking through your clothes!

And where you’ll get a jacket from

  God above knows.

 

“It’s lucky for me, lad,

  Your daddy’s in the ground,

And can’t see the way I let

  His son go around!”

  And she made a queer sound.

 

That was in the late fall.

  When the winter came,

I’d not a pair of breeches

  Nor a shirt to my name.

I couldn’t go to school,

  Or out of doors to play.

And all the other little boys

  Passed our way.

 

“Son,” said my mother,

  ”Come, climb into my lap,

And I’ll chafe your little bones

  While you take a nap.”

 

And, oh, but we were silly

  For half an hour or more,

Me with my long legs

  Dragging on the floor,

 

A-rock-rock-rocking

  To a mother-goose rhyme!

Oh, but we were happy

  For half an hour’s time!

 

But there was I, a great boy,

  And what would folks say

To hear my mother singing me

  To sleep all day,

  In such a daft way?

 

Men say the winter

  Was bad that year;

Fuel was scarce,

  And food was dear.

 

A wind with a wolf’s head

  Howled about our door,

And we burned up the chairs

  And sat upon the floor.

 

All that was left us

  Was a chair we couldn’t break,

And the harp with a woman’s head

  Nobody would take,

  For song or pity’s sake.

The night before Christmas

  I cried with the cold,

I cried myself to sleep

  Like a two-year-old.

 

And in the deep night

  I felt my mother rise,

And stare down upon me

  With love in her eyes.

 

I saw my mother sitting

  On the one good chair,

A light falling on her

  From I couldn’t tell where,

 

Looking nineteen,

  And not a day older,

And the harp with a woman’s head

  Leaned against her shoulder.

 

Her thin fingers, moving

  In the thin, tall strings,

Were weav-weav-weaving

  Wonderful things.

 

Many bright threads,

  From where I couldn’t see,

Were running through the harp-strings Rapidly,

 

And gold threads whistling

  Through my mother’s hand.

I saw the web grow,

  And the pattern expand.

 

She wove a child’s jacket,

  And when it was done

She laid it on the floor

  And wove another one.

 


She wove a red cloak

  So regal to see,

“She’s made it for a king’s son,”

  I said, “and not for me.”

  But I knew it was for me.

 

She wove a pair of breeches

  Quicker than that!

She wove a pair of boots

  And a little cocked hat.

 

She wove a pair of mittens,

  She wove a little blouse,

She wove all night

  In the still, cold house.

 

She sang as she worked,

  And the harp-strings spoke;

Her voice never faltered,

  And the thread never broke.

  And when I awoke,–

 

There sat my mother

  With the harp against her shoulder

Looking nineteen

  And not a day older,

 

A smile about her lips,

  And a light about her head,

And her hands in the harp-strings

  Frozen dead.

 

And piled up beside her

  And toppling to the skies,

Were the clothes of a king’s son,

  Just my size.

The second is by Ogden Nash. Nash's poetry often depends on silly, humorous, and tortured rhymes.

The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus


by Ogden Nash


In Baltimore there lived a boy.

He wasn’t anybody’s joy.

Although his name was Jabez Dawes,

His character was full of flaws. 


In school he never led his classes,

He hid old ladies’ reading glasses,

His mouth was open when he chewed,

And elbows to the table glued.


He stole the milk of hungry kittens,

And walked through doors marked
‘NO ADMITTANCE’.

He said he acted thus because

There wasn’t any Santa Claus.


Another trick that tickled Jabez

Was crying ‘Boo’ at little babies.

He brushed his teeth, they said in town,

Sideways instead of up and down.


Yet people pardoned every sin,

And viewed his antics with a grin,

Till they were told by Jabez Dawes,

‘There isn’t any Santa Claus!’


Deploring how he did behave,

His parents swiftly sought their grave.

They hurried through the portals pearly,

And Jabez left the funeral early.


Like whooping cough, from child to child,

He sped to spread the rumor wild:

‘Sure as my name is Jabez Dawes

There isn’t any Santa Claus!’


Slunk like a weasel of a marten

Through nursery and kindergarten,

Whispering low to every tot,

‘There isn’t any, no there’s not!’


The children wept all Christmas eve

And Jabez chortled up his sleeve.

No infant dared hang up his stocking

For fear of Jabez’ ribald mocking. 


He sprawled on his untidy bed,

Fresh malice dancing in his head,

When presently with scalp-a-tingling,

Jabez heard a distant jingling;


He heard the crunch of sleigh and hoof

Crisply alighting on the roof.

What good to rise and bar the door?

A shower of soot was on the floor.


What was beheld by Jabez Dawes?

The fireplace full of Santa Claus!

Then Jabez fell upon his knees

With cries of ‘Don’t,’ and ‘Pretty Please.’


He howled, ‘I don’t know where you read it,

But anyhow, I never said it!’

‘Jabez’ replied the angry saint,

‘It isn’t I, it’s you that ain’t.


Although there is a Santa Claus,

There isn’t any Jabez Dawes!’

Said Jabez then with impudent vim,

‘Oh, yes there is, and I am him!


Your magic don’t scare me, it doesn’t’

And suddenly he found he wasn’t!

From grimy feet to grimy locks,

Jabez became a Jack-in-the-box,


An ugly toy with springs unsprung,

Forever sticking out his tongue.

The neighbors heard his mournful squeal;

They searched for him, but not with zeal.


No trace was found of Jabez Dawes,

Which led to thunderous applause,

And people drank a loving cup

And went and hung their stockings up.


All you who sneer at Santa Claus,

Beware the fate of Jabez Dawes,

The saucy boy who mocked the saint.

Donner and Blitzen licked off his paint.



Finally I recited the classic by Clement Moore, first published almost 200 years ago.

A Visit from St. Nicholas

By Clement Clarke Moore

‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;


The children were nestled all snug in their beds;

While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;

And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,

Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap,


When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.


The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,

Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,

When what to my wondering eyes did appear,

But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,


With a little old driver so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.

More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:


“Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!

On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!

To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!”


As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;

So up to the housetop the coursers they flew

With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too—


And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.


He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;

A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,

And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.


His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow;


The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;

He had a broad face and a little round belly

That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,

And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;


A wink of his eye and a twist of his head

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,

And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,


And laying his finger aside of his nose,

And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.


But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—

“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”


I recited the same poems with the second group, but we also sang a couple of songs together -- and I heard some nice harmony added along the way -- Silent Night and Jingle Bells. And I sang a more modern personal favorite:

Some Children See Him 

by Alfred Burt and Whila Hutson

Some children see Him lily white 

The infant Jesus born this night 

Some children see Him lily white 

With tresses soft and fair 


Some children see Him bronzed and brown 

The Lord of heav'n to earth come down 

Some children see Him bronzed and brown 

With dark and heavy hair 


Some children see Him almond-eyed 

This Saviour whom we kneel beside 

Some children see Him almond-eyed

With skin of yellow hue! 


Some children see Him dark as they 

Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray 

Some children see Him dark as they 

And, ah! they love Him so! 


The children in each different place 

Will see the Baby Jesus' face 

Like theirs but bright with heav'nly grace 

And filled with holy light! 


O lay aside each earthly thing 

And with thy heart as offering 

Come worship now the infant King 

'Tis love that's born tonight! 

. . . 'tis love that's born tonight!



Then the storytelling devolved into that favorite level of the art, in my opinion: visiting! Several folks reminisced about their childhood Christmases.

I came home cheered and refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment