My favorite childhood occupations, other than pestering my five sisters, were:
- perching in the spare barber chair, drinking a small coke with ice flecks and peanuts floating in it, and listening to Daddy Shaw regale his customers with a tales.
- gathering with my sisters on the floor of my father's little study in the backyard of 333 South Ninth Street in Griffin, Georgia, hanging on every word of Daddy's stories of growing up in Milstead, Georgia.
- sitting with my mother as she read/told Bible stories.
- on stage in musicals and plays
- in church and other groups (even a stadium full of baseball fans) as a singer
- before girl scouts, PTO nights, civic groups, classrooms, other school groups, or just my two daughters as a storyteller.
This video of Pete telling "Abiyoyo" may be 38 years old.