Friday, May 15, 2009

Gleaning Facebook: AES Lifeforms

seven spot ladybug beetle, Coccinella septempunctata
An import from Europe.

ladybird beetle, Coccinella septempunctata









Dryocampa rubicunda - Rosy Maple Moth
My Charlotte brought this guy from home.






Dryocampa rubicunda - Rosy Maple Moth
Moths have antennae that look like feathers, usually. Butterflies have clubbed antennae.





When these buds open they will make one of the oddest, but most gorgeous little flowers you will see.


Turkey Tail Fungus, Trametes versicolor, I think. The same brackett fungus found all over the woods on rotting limbs and logs. See the pine cones? They help you understand the size of this big clump. It is more than a foot in diameter.



I'm 'sposed to know this, but I forget.

Carol Shaw Johnston
We have these flowers all over our woods. Let me know when you figure out what they are.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment