Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Terrell Quiz

How well do you know Terrell? Answer these 20 questions that only my closest associates woukld know. Answers are printed below the baby picture; no peeking!

1) When did I receive my first school paddling?a) First Day of Kindergarten
b) First Day of First Grade
c) First Day at Fourth Ward Elementary
d) First time I wore my Boy Scout Uniform to school.
e) I never received a paddling at school.

2) On what television show did I make my TV singing debut?a) The Arthur Godfrey Show
b) The Popeye Club
c) The Woody Willow Show
d) The Methodist Hour
e) The 4-H Hour

3) Where did I propose to Sheila?a) Cumberland Falls, KY
b) The Pocket, Floyd County, GA
c) Fort Mountain, GA
d) Stone Mountain, GA
e) New River, WV

4) What is my favorite all-time theatre role I've played so far?a) Charlie Anderson in Shenandoah
b) Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof
c) Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden
d) Prof. Marvel/The Wizard, et al in Wizard of Oz
e) Smee in Peter Pan

5) What do i collect?a) Beanie Babies
b) Newbery Award-winning books
c) Auto License Plates
d) Political Items 
e) Church plates

6) What was my lonely ten year boycott?a) Did not own a television. 
b) Did not purchase anything made in China.
c) Did not darken the door of Walmart.
d) Did not drink a carbonated beverage.
e) Avoided Disney parks, movies, etc.

7) What was the cause of multiple trips to the doctor as a toddler?a) Falling out of bed, windows, porches, and trees.
b) Bee and wasp stings.
c) Extreme allergic reactions to poison ivy.
d) Putting assorted items up my nose.
e) Inserting hairpins into electrical outlets.

8) What was the last brand-new car I purchased?a) 1969 Opal Kadette
b) 1973 Chevrolet Blazer
c) 1986 Olds Cutlass
d) 1995 Honda accord
e) 2001 Toyota Rav 4

9) What emergency occurred at my school when I was in First Grade?a) I fell from my classroom window and broke an arm.
b) The janitor was injured in a furnace explosion.
c) A little girl fell in the outdoor toilet.
d) A teacher died of a heart attack at school.
e) The school was evacuated because of a kitchen fire.

10) What cake did Aunt Mary often make for me when I visited?a) Date-nut
b) German Chocolate
c) Fresh Coconut
d) Strawberry
e) Chocolate Pound

11) What is my favorite children's book?a) The Lion's Paw 
b) Bristle Face
c) Charlotte's Web
d) Hatchet
e) Dear Mr. Henshaw

12) Which of these personal heroes have I never shaken hands with?a) Hubert Humphrey
b) Robert F. Kennedy
c) Jimmy Carter
d) Walter Mondale 
e) Barack Obama 

13) Which of these critters have I never photographed near Armuchee School?a) Fox
b) Groundhog
c) Opossum
d) Copperhead
e) Rat Snake

14) What did I name my first new car? (An Opal Kadette)a) Adolph
b) SAM 
c) Sheila
d) Lum
e) O'Pal

15) In which of these Floyd County Schools have I NOT taught?a) Alto Park
b) Cave Spring
c) Glenwood
d) Johnson
e) Krannert

16) Which of these publications did I NOT help edit?a) Out & About Georgia's Rome
b) Broadside
c) The NWGa Genealogical & Historical Quarterly
d) The Wald-Paper
e) The Coosa Valley News

17) Which is NOT part of my storytelling repertoire?a) The Foolish Frog 
b) How the Possum Learned to Play Possum 
c) Matilda Stood on a Grave 
d) The Crack of Dawn
e) Jabberwocky

18) Which book profoundly influenced my life?a) The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm 
b) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
c) Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
d) Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
e) Bop Fables by Steve Allen 

19) How did I earn my West Rome letter jacket?a) Golf
b) Baseball
c) Band
d) Football
e) Debate

20) Which musical theatre song have I never sung on stage?a) Bring Him Home from Les Miserables 
b) Meditation from Shenandoah 
c) Lily's Eyes from The Secret Garden 
d) Over the Rainbow from Wizard of Oz
e) Do You Love Me from Fiddler on the Roof


ANSWERS:

1) When did I receive my first school paddling?

a) First Day of Kindergarten Nope. If I had attended kindergarten I might have that record as well.

b) First Day of First Grade Yep. I kept pulling the ponytail of my little church friend who sat in front of me. After several warnings Mrs. Overstreet hoisted me with one hand while applying the other to my rear.

c) First Day at Fourth Ward Elementary
d) First time I wore my Boy Scout Uniform to school.
e) I never received a paddling at school (Ha!! I have written about others -- from Mrs. Brown in Fourth Grade and Mrs. Anderson in Fifth. There were others.)

2) On what television show did I make my singing debut?a) The Arthur Godfrey Show
b) The Popeye Club
c) The Woody Willow Show
d) The Methodist Hour
e) The 4-H Hour (I sand "Around the World" as a duet with Charlese Poindexter. I was in 8th Grade)
3) Where did I propose to Sheila?


a) Cumberland Falls, KY
b) The Pocket, Floyd County, GA
c) Fort Mountain, GA (Yep. Near Holly Creek)d) Stone Mountain, GA
e) New River, WV

4) What is my favorite all-time theatre role I've played so far?


a) Charlie Anderson in Shenandoah Yep. These are my favs listed pretty much in order.)
b) Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof
c) Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden
d) Prof. Marvel/The Wizard, et al in Wizard of Oz
e) Smee in Peter Pan

5) What do i collect?


a) Beanie Babies
b) Newbery Award-winning books
c) Auto License Plates
d) Political Items (My oldest is a metal log cabin pin from Wm Henry Harrison. My favs include items from my own work in Bobby Kennedy's campaign and Jimmy Carter's campaign... and a pencil from Eugene Talmadge)
e) Church plates

6) What was my lonely ten year boycott?


a) Did not own a television. (Nope. We obtained our first TV in 1976 after 5 years of marriage. We did not purchase cable until about 1995. Nowadays we're about as addicted as the rest of teh country.)
b) Did not purchase anything made in China. (I vowed after watching that fellow face down the tanks, that if he could do that, I could at least boycott his abusers slave-produced products. I gave up after ten years -- decided perhaps in the long-run creeping capitalism might secure more rights in China than my unsupported boycott. :)
c) Did not darken the door of Walmart. (I stop by a few times a year.)
d) Did not drink a carbonated beverage. (The first thing I give up when trying to lose weight.)
e) Avoided Disney parks, movies, etc. (I love Disney animated movies. Never been to Disney parks though.)

7) What was the cause of multiple trips to the doctor as a toddler?


a) Falling out of bed, windows, porches, and trees. (That was Josh.)
b) Bee and wasp stings. (Only one major event)
c) Extreme allergic reactions to poison ivy. (That was Carol.)
d) Putting assorted items up my nose. (Yep. Gross, huh.)e) Inserting hairpins into electrical outlets.(That was my brother.)

8) What was the last brand-new car I purchased?


a) 1969 Opal Kadette (My only other new car.)
b) 1973 Chevrolet Blazer (It was a ragtop.)c) 1986 Olds Cutlass (One of many used cars we have purchased.)
d) 1995 Honda accord (One of many used cars we have purchased.)
e) 2001 Toyota Rav 4 (One of many used cars we have purchased.)

9) What emergency occurred at my school when I was in First Grade?


a) I fell from my classroom window and broke an arm.
b) The janitor was injured in a furnace explosion. (This happened during fourth grade.)
c) A little girl fell in the outdoor toilet. (Yep. I wonder whatever happened to that little girl?)d) A teacher died of a heart attack at school.
e) The school was evacuated because of a kitchen fire

10) What cake did Aunt Mary often make for me when I visited?


a) Date-nut (Mama used to make this one for me.)
b) German Chocolate (I DO NOT eat coconut!!!)
c) Fresh Coconut (See b.)
d) Strawberry (Yes!!! I loved that cake and I loved Aunt Mary.)e) Chocolate Pound

11) What is my favorite children's book?


a) The Lion's Paw (Yep. Wonderful Childen's story. The other four are also good kids' books.)b) Bristle Face (A favorite, but not THE favorite.)
c) Charlotte's Web (A favorite, but not THE favorite.)
d) Hatchet (A favorite, but not THE favorite.)
e) Dear Mr. Henshaw (A favorite, but not THE favorite.)

12) Which of these personal heroes have I never shaken hands with?


a) Hubert Humphrey (He talked with me for much longer than he had to. A wonderful man.)
b) Robert F. Kennedy (I was in a welcoming commiteee of youth at the Louisville airport, one month to the day before his assassination.)
c) Jimmy Carter ( I saw him several other times before and after he was President, but shook his hand at his church in Plains only a few years ago.)
d) Walter Mondale (Talked with him about our Methodist preacher daddies at a barbecue in Kennesaw in 1983.)
e) Barack Obama (I hope I get to meet this President one of thse days.)
13) Which of these critters have I never photographed near Armuchee School?


a) Fox (I've seen several, but haven't gotten a pic.)b) Groundhog
c) Opossum
d) Copperhead
e) Rat Snake

14) What did I name my first new car? (An Opal Kadette)


a) Adolph
b) SAM (For my then girlfriend/now wife, Sheila Ann Matthews.)c) Sheila
d) Lum
e) O'Pal

15) In which of these Floyd County Schools have I NOT taught?


a) Alto Park
b) Cave Spring (I've taught at all current elementary schools, except this one... and at two currently defunct schools. In retirement I have finally spent some time in classes at CSES.)c) Glenwood
d) Johnson
e) Krannert

16) Which of these publications did I NOT help edit?


a) Out & About Georgia's Rome (magazine 1988-1995)
b) Broadside  (weekly newspaper 1988-1995)
c) The NWGa Genealogical & Historical Quarterly  (eighties & nineties)
d) The Wald-Paper (MYF Billy Walden sub-district newsletter)
e) The Coosa Valley News (This is the one... not sure this was the name of the one I'm thinking of)
17) Which is NOT part of my storytelling repertoire?


a) The Foolish Frog (One of my old standbys written by Pete Seeger)b) How the Possum Learned to Play Possum (Another mainstay and a variation of a JC Harris story)
c) Matilda Stood on a Grave (One I wrote myself, based on an old folk ghost story.)
d) The Crack of Dawn (A great story by Donald Davis, but I don't tell it.)e) Jabberwocky (The poem by Louis Carroll that I include in many performances.)

18) Which book profoundly influenced my life?


a) The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm (The basic idea that love is a decision was a revelation to me that radically changed my life for the better.)b) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
c) Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
d) Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
e) Bop Fables by Steve Allen (An influence on my storytelling, but not on my core principles. :))

19) How did I earn my West Rome letter jacket?


a) Golf
b) Baseball (OK, I was statistician. I never could hit or catch or throw, but I love the game. And it got me a letter.)c) Band
d) Football
e) Debate

20) Which musical theatre song have I never sung on stage?


a) Bring Him Home from Les Miserables (I love to sing this song. I have performed it several times.)
b) Meditation from Shenandoah (I had six solos in Shenandoah. This is the one we took to innumerable civic clubs to promote the show.)
c) Lily's Eyes from The Secret Garden (I love this one and am singing the duet with MYSELF in my voice class currently.)
d) Over the Rainbow from Wizard of Oz (Great song. Never sang it on stage.)e) Do You Love Me from Fiddler on the Roof (One of my favorite moments on stage is this poignant little  song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment