Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Slow Start to Spring?

 In honor of my mother's birthday today I publish my annual jonquil photos. Mama loves these harbingers of Spring, as do I.

Unfortunately the dadgum daffodils are on strike ths year. I have always -- well, almost always -- been able to count on the sturdy little Defiers of Winter to lift their sunny trumpets to the skies and pronounce winter's doom on February First or even sooner. Below you see the brazen rascals announcing the coming of spring to travelers on Avenue A from their post at the end of my drive on January 29, 2009.



But here are the wimpy ne'er-do-well grandchildren of 2011, still bundled tight, barely showing any warm yellow, today, February 19, 2011.


Still it's good to see some progress toward Spring.
Happy Birthday, Mother!

----

George Barton How old is Ruth?, she has to be close to 90.

Ruth Baird Shaw George you are right. I was born in 1923 so if i live two more years will celebrate 90. So let me pass along a bit of wisdom. <smile> One of the interesting things about growing old is realizing that we do not loose all the other ages we have been! although I am now 88, i still know what it is like to be 18 and 28 and 38 etc. God is good...All the time!

Terrell Shaw What are you gonna believe, George, the calendar, or your eyes? My mother is no where near ninety. pastedGraphic.png

George Barton Well, I know about how old you are, Charlie and Ruth had three babies before they had you, and I don't think Joan was born when your mom was 15 years old. She does look good, you would never guess her age unless you did the arithmatic.

Walter Jack Gipson Good shots Terry.

Terrell Shaw I don't know much about that, David. I remember Mrs. Harry Johnson made an effort to know many varieties. She planted a yard full out on Rockmart Road.

Terrell Shaw A jonquil finally burst forth this afternoon. Not in the bunch pictured but one near our front porch, so - ta-dah! -- today I rejoice to announce my First Jonquil of 2011!!! Take that, Winter!

Terrell Shaw I wrote a reply to Wordsworth's famous poem about daffodils a while back: http://aloneonalimb.blogspot.com/.../poetry-stretch-first...

Logan Boss Mothers and jonquils. When one is gone, the other persists, dependable, anticipated harbinger of Spring, awakening beautiful memories regrettably buried sometimes under Winter's decaying leaves. Enjoyed your response to Wordsworth's paean to daffodils and reflection, Terrell. Give your mom a big hug for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment