Monday, February 07, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Hound Dog!

This ought to get something started. What was your first musical purchase?

My trip to Griffin on Friday reminded me of my first ever purchase of music.
-------

Terrell Shaw Record Haven. It was on a side storefront street parallel to Poplar St. and a block or two farther from our house. I had saved enough. We had a family record player. It was time to invest in music. So I bravely walked up to town, entered Record Haven, and plopped down my life savings to purchase my first 45 rpm recording: "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley, which was intended to be the flip side of the mournful but peppy "Don't Be Cruel". "Hound Dog" climbed the charts first and was the song I was there to purchase, but was eventually overtaken by "Don't Be Cruel" according to Wikipedia. DBC sold four million in 1956 and shared the record for most weeks at #1 until 1992.

Marlee Tierce I bought music boxes. My first real big purchase from my own money was an oboe of my very own.

Terrell Shaw Wow! Do you still play oboe?

Marlee Tierce No. Just high school and college. I do play a great radio and stereo!

Terrell Shaw As Bill Harley has pointed out, playing recorded music is important too. He has a song "Daddy Played the Phonograph".

Jim Geist The Cars first album...

Deborah Lake Dawson I think mine was Neil Diamond or Elton John.

Ann Gore Mine was Elvis Presley - Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel - a 45 oops!! Just told my age.

Darrell Fedchak Quite possibly "The Wheels on the Bus." It was so long ago...

Terrell Shaw Davy Jones, you don't know the meaning of "long ago"! <grin> Ann and I, on the other hand, were there for Elvis' debut.

Ringstaff Marilyn @Marlee- me too, I bought an oboe!


Susan Cherones 45 of Kung Fu Fighting.Yes, I'm serious.

Terrell Shaw No way! It is disgusting how young most folks in the world are these days! <grin>

Ruth Baird Shaw Terry. I loved your story about your first purchase of music! Those four years in Griiffin were importnt years for all of us. Have you ever thought about "what if" if you had accepted the Music (voice) scholarship after High School?


Terrell Shaw A few times. I'm fascinated with how things work together. I wouldn't have met Sheila so I b'lieve I'll let well enough alone.

Angela Flannigan McRee The Wiz LP in 1979. First one I paid for myself. Definitely got my $$$$ out of that one. My friend Ginger McDermot and I danced (well she danced...I froze like a deer in the headlights))in the talent show with that record. I'm amazed the needle didn't wear a hole through that song.

Christie Hufstedler Boyd I'm pretty sure that the first record I ever bought was a Beatles record. I distinctly remember the apple label. 

pastedGraphic.png

Mona Dewey-Leiter The first record I got that was not a Sesame St. or Disney related one was the Grease Movie Soundtrack.


Pam Howell Adams The first 45 I bought was Tommy Roe "I'm So Dizzy" or The Archies "Sugar, Sugar"

Terrell Shaw

Easin' on down the road, Mz Flannigan? (I'm gonna remember my lesson tomorrow!)
And Christie's a mophead, who'd a thunk it. Sheila saw the Fab Four twice... Atlanta and Jacksonville. She still has a trunk full of Beatles stuff. Her Mom took her to one of the concerts... I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that my wonderful MIL watched a Beatles concert with a whole stadium full of screaming teenage girls. I somehow thought I was above the Beatles crowd... that was for younger kids. I was into folk stuff. Now I like 'em.
Ramona, were you Sandy?

Pam, every thing I can think to write about Sugar, Sugar makes me sound like a Dirty Ol' Man, so I'll just be a dizzy ol' man and say, "My head is spinnin;" 


Mona Dewey-Leiter Yes I wanted to be Sandy/Olivia Newton-John when I was a girl. She was so pretty and a lovely Singer. Grease was great for being a fun colorful musical. That was a rarity by the 1970s.


Jerry B. Smith Don't know if it was first or not, but the VHS of Lou Reed & John Cale's Songs for Drella was pretty early on. After I saw it on GPTV.I had no idea at the time who Lou Reed, John Cale or the Velvet Underground was... I just liked it a lot. No, that probably wasn't first - but it was the first I really remember.

Ruthie Langston Terry Hmmmmm, long time ago- probably Elvis on a 45????

Betty Smith Franklin Sheet music--35 cents. Hit Parade songs for me to sing accompanied in talent shows. "Would you like to Swing on a Star?" (fourth grade).

Bob Doster My Dad worked on Juke boxes and Pinball machines. He sometimes would bring home old 45's that were taken off the Jukes. I could go to his shop and buy them for $.25. Didn't buy many, didn't have a lot of quarters.

Bill Supon I was planning on singing professionally. I got a job at Darlington to accumulate some cash. Then I met this incredibly lovely Roman girl, and I decided to do music as a semi-pro.

And stick with Karen!!

Paula Graves I think the first music that I ever bought with my own money was a 45 of Andy Gibb's "Shadow Dancing" at a yard sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment