Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Yorktown!

In my fourth grade social studies classes, among the other silly things the teacher required were commemorative actions at the mention of certain words or names. For example if I mentioned "Lexington and Concord" all the children silently (preferably) fire imaginary muskets to salute the "Shot Heard 'Round the World"; at "Saratoga" they stand and turnaround once; and when I say "Yorktown" they throw their hands over their heads to represent Cornwallis's surrender, our victory (Yay!), and the "Y" in the town's name.

I enjoyed telling my recent students that I have nieces & nephews in Yorktown. Here's evidence of that. (Now raise your hands and celebrate.)
I don't believe turbans are standard Revolutionary headgear.





No comments:

Post a Comment