Thursday, July 25, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: Story Night #6

TONIGHT!

For our Open Mic Story Night we have a few outstanding early registrants:
-- Here for a return engagement from LaGrange, Georgia is a wonderful storyteller, Pepper Ellis-Hagebak.
-- Stacie Scoggins Marshall will regale us with her wonderful tall-tale that wowed the Big Fibbers audience and judges last March and garnered her one of the top prizes in the competition.
-- The Grand Imagineer himself, Gary Greene a Rome storytelling treasure is ready and waiting to tell.
-- John Paul Schulz who has become a fixture in North Georgia storytelling over the last five years will tell one of his intriguing stories.
These are but four of the in-town and out-of-town storytellers who will likely regale us. Stories will start at seven and end by nine. Come order some great food and drink, make yourselves comfortable, and hear some great stories.
How about it, William S. Davies, Denise DesSoye, Mike Mount? Jane Owen Cunningham did you develop a new story during your week with Donald Davis? Natalie Jones, Leslie Rainey Shelley we'd love to hear you spin a yarn. Kanute Rarey you know your way over here. Jean Bray is thinking about it. Questing Parson, I haven't heard from you. I could name MANY others... everyone is welcome. We'll draw names till we run out of time, with maybe a little special attention to our visiting storytellers
It's an OPEN MIC! Do YOU have a story to tell. Come on.
Note: This is storytelling for grown-ups --- though family friendly. It likely will not be entertaining to young children.


Comments

Gary Greene It was a good time had by all!

Quinn Scott Smith My story (sort of...) or at least the reason I missed Storytelling Night

pastedGraphic.png

"Don't Go Bobcat Huntin' w/o A Reminder Alarm!"
I had Storytelling Night on my calendar on my phone and had been looking forward to it all week.....
I was contacted by a friend about 3pm asking for assistance searching for an injured, wild animal out on Veteran's Hwy/Kingston Rd. Smh & telling myself as I drove that I knew I would regret it, I still went crawling along the median & shoulder, eventually trapesing thru some grass searching for the wee one.... reminding myself that where there is a kitten/cub, there is usually a mama & I was being really stupid, but I just couldn't stand the thought of him being alone and hurt. Mind you, my friend had already pulled over thinking she was going to rescue a little kitten...but upon getting closer, said "kitten" came out of the tall grass and chased her 40 yards back to her vehicle hissing, spitting and clawing at her heels...while she was on the phone screaming with 911. Police could not find the animal after a short search so that is when I get a msg as my friend heads back to her office. My friend texts ME the pic and wants to know if I have any rescue friends that can help search. Uummmm? You DO know this is a wild cat, right? "Oh no" she says, "her friend that took the pic said it wasn't." (Your friend isn't too bright!)
I called PAWS and the police had not yet reported it. They only had one officer to cover all calls for Rome/Floyd Co. I informed them I would go attempt to visually locate the animal & promised not to get myself into a dangerous situation...then I went ahead and put food, water, towels, blankets and a carrier in my back seat (still smh.) Soooo after a good hour+ with no siting I headed to my son's home to visit as they had JUST lost a precious pet the day prior, my 1st granddog, Dixie. It wasn't until I pulled into my driveway at 7:20pm and my phone rang from a person I had MEANT to invite to Storytelling night, that I sighed deflated & exhausted "regreting" that I had missed it. Since I can no longer be mobile on my feet, I couldn't rush downtown, sprint to Schroeders and catch the last 1/2. I'll see ya'll in Nov, Lord willing & if the creek don't rise...
William S. Davies
So sorry I couldn’t be there! Always enjoy the tales.


Quinn Scott Smith Here's the little wee one's pic. He's barely as tall as the blades of grass. You can see the road rash on it's head and my friend reported that it had a broken leg also...but it still managed to chase her fast enough for her to toss her purse into the brush, run for her vehicle and forget to retrieve purse until 2 hrs later.... I assume the poor thing was in shock from the injuries. A wild kit that small would not be that aggressive and most likely would act like a feral animal and run away. I hate to see anything suffer.
pastedGraphic_1.png
Terrell Shaw
Wow!
Quinn Scott Smith
Cute lil' booger isn't he? I GUESS he was worth missing story night....would've been more worth it if I could've found him again and gotten him to wildlife rescue...or at least out of misery if his injuries were too bad. I doubt he'll survive in the wild with a broken leg, but it's possible. If he can stay hidden from preditors and catch small rodents, he might heal w/ scar tissue...but it's doubtful...since she could see that the leg was broken, it had to have been pretty bad.
Stacie Scoggins Marshall Thank you Terrell again for the night! Every time I get around these great story tellers I feel inspired and also that I have lots to learn. What a cheery bunch of folks!
Terrell Shaw
Thanks for coming and telling your tale! Hope you'll join us for our A Time To Tell gettogethers.
Terrell Shaw
Mike Mount Thanks. I enjoyed your story. Y'all come back every chance you get. I want to visit SOTS again too.

No comments:

Post a Comment