Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: Old Postcard Spurs Discussion of Division in Methodism

 This postcard was sent in 1945 to Bill Weber at our address. This sanctuary, formerly Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, is now called Trinity on Fifth and is part our church, Trinity United Methodist Church.


Facebook Comments

Gary Sarah Pace
Was baptized there in 1957.


George Barton
I was organist there for a couple of years, great bunch of members, even if they were Baptists,


Howard Smith
Back in the day, when it was a Baptist church, many groups of Americans were excluded from their worship services, even more from leading worship. Today, I hope your Methodist church is inclusive and not exclusive and all who wish to worship or lead worship have the opportunity.


George Barton
Protestant churches, and funeral homes tend to be racially segregated, but it is consensual, both blacks and whites prefer it, the customs and traditions are different. but all are welcome in any Christian church.


Howard Smith
George Barton
The first part of your statement is basically true. The second part is wishful thinking...at best. And, this isn’t just a black and white issue. There are more groups.


Terrell Shaw
Howard Smith
You may not have heard the inflection in George's voice on the word "Christian". pastedGraphic.png

Christ could not have made it plainer that he welcomes all. His followers, however, are by definition sinners seeking redemption. Wesleyans (Methodists) also seek perfection, but ain't none of us gotten there yet, as far as I can see -- I know this'n' ain't.


Terrell Shaw
Well, you got me thinking Howard... And I really don't have time for this! 

The exclusion of blacks from membership or even attendance in my church during my childhood was heartbreaking to me. It rent our church. It caused conflict between me and other kids and adults in the church. It caused my pastor father untold headaches… still he tried to do what was right. At one point in my college days, when I brought home to Atlanta my Kenyan roommate for Christmas vacation, my Dad welcomed him, had him speak at Sunday night service, and never told me of the vicious controversy it stirred in his congregation. I didn’t learn till after Daddy died that having one of the finest men I have ever known come to our church resulted in a pastorate ending controversy.
The unofficial exclusion of women (I knew of only one woman pastor as a kid) was obviously wrong. My wonderful mother completed seminary after my father died, became fully ordained, and is herself an eloquent, loving, and effective pastor.
The continued discrimination against its LGBT membership (by the narrowest of margins and with minority support in the US) by the UMC is very sad to me and will likely result in an official split of the denomination. Again an issue that is tearing congregations apart. And families. My family is very split on this issue and others. But even those who are far to the right on this issue are more open than they used to be.
BUT…
Churches are, by definition, congregations of sinners seeking redemption.

The arc in the church is bending toward justice.
Wesleyans strive for perfection, but the church will never be perfected on earth because it is made up of flawed humans.
Still we are doing better than we once were.

I think of the gay guy who sang next to me in choir for years and eventually died of AIDS.

I think of the wonderful high school teacher and librarian who lived quietly with his partner for decades, doing such good in the community.
I think of my many gay former students, fellow actors, teacher friends, and the challenges they have faced.
I think of my first cousin who agonized over his struggle to be “straight” when anyone would know in five minutes with him he was anything but.
I think of other dear ones whose stories I dare not allude to here.
I cannot keep quiet.
As I sat listening to another inspired sermon from our pastor (who happens to be an outstanding preacher and a female) on Sunday, I noticed a friend whose daughter is LGBT. I looked around the congregation and was struck by a fact that could not be clearer: Almost EVERY pew was occupied by at least one person with a close relation in the LGBT community. They know those folks. They know they have attributes and flaws in approximately the same proportion as their “straight” relatives. And those without gay relatives likely have gay co-workers, classmates, friends. Again they know them to be as hard-working or lazy, principled or not, reverent or not, as any others. That is likely true of every congregation in Rome. It has ever been thus, but it was not always known.
Now we know.
Things are changing.


Howard Smith
Terrell Shaw
Thank you for all you have done in your life, all that you still do, what you stand for and who you stand up for. Thanks for having courage to LIVE your convictions. While we may not agree on everything...who does...you have no idea the admiration I have for you. Have a wonderful 4th of July, as folks in Rome and Floyd always seem to do. I know for a fact you will celebrate your love for our country and your hope fo a better future for all Americans. While I place very little "faith" in organized religion, I have great faith in people like you, whether they are believers or free thinkers like me. take care


Terrell Shaw
Thanks for the kind words. (And right back at you by the way.) I wish I could live up to them more closely. I tend toward the middle and wishy-washiness generally, and hate confrontation, but on some matters I cannot be quiet. Once I know my mind, especially in matters of morals and ethics and human rights, I can be right stubborn. 

Howard y'all orta drive up for some BBQ... best anywhere, and great seats for the fireworks. Of course, in Rome, our Fourth is on the Third this year!


George Barton
Terrell Shaw
We will soon have the Ununited Methodist Church


Howard Smith
Terrell Shaw
I really do want to sometime. Heading to Charleston to spend the holiday with my son, daughter-in-law and grandson. I know you can appreciate that!


Terrell Shaw
When the General Conference met in Dallas, years ago, a hotel put up a welcome message on their Marquee... unfortunately spelling was not the talent of the employee who placed the letters, or perhaps he was dyslexic, and the message read: "Welcome, Untied Methodists"! That may become the standard spelling.


Ann Gore
Thank you Terrell! You have such a way with words and a true loving heart to go with the words! Thank you for being you and for saying what you think and feel!


Howard Smith
Sometimes you have to tske take something a part to put it back together better than it was before.


Howard Smith
Although, it is a fact that Christainity has been splintering since it’s beginning. That is why it may be referred to as an “Allah carte” religion....


Terrell Shaw
Where ever two are more humans are gathered there are varying interests and therefore division i.e. politics.


Howard Smith
Terrell Shaw
you don’t have to tell me that....we have 20 something Democrats vying for the nomination!


George Barton
Terrell Shaw
and each man created God in his own image


Howard Smith
Ps...I am accepting the fact I have an open invitation to the 4th so long as you host your event.


George Barton
It's BYOB


Howard Smith
Good to know! Oh, did you mean beverage of Bible...



No comments:

Post a Comment