Thursday, January 23, 2020

January 23rd has rolled around again. On this day, forty-nine years ago, my life was changed and enriched forever. As Sheila Matthews rested against a giant white pine on the far side of Fort Mountain near Holly Creek, I leaned in to kiss her, and then asked the question I'd been practicing in my addled noggin on the long drive from Kentucky. Her answer was unreserved and positive and brief. One word. "Yes." That has made all the difference.

As I first knew her.

Her wedding announcement picture. It is so strange to see her identified in print as "Mrs. Charles Terrell Shaw". Although she did adopt my last name she has never used Mrs. Terrell Shaw, but rather Sheila Matthews Shaw. 












A more recent shot.





And another.




She and I have been married longer than my parents were. Or either pair of my grandparents.

Lordy, I love this woman.

Here's an early Jan. 23 post.


No comments:

Post a Comment