Monday, February 17, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: Built by Daniel Mitchell

These brief Facebook posts mention Daniel Mitchell and/or our house and some elicited comments I want to preserve here on the Limb...

------------------------
October 7, 2013
 
I love to travel, but I also love to come back to beautiful Northwest Georgia and our own comfy 145 year-old bed --- built by Sheila's Great Great Great Grandaddy John Wesley Nall --- and to the familiar confines of our 144 year-old house ---built by Rome's founder, Daniel Mitchell -- here on the banks of the Oostanaula River.
-----------------------
January 28, 2014




I love our old house, but its lonesome for Sheila tonight.
Later: Our house, on Avenue A, was built in 1869 by Daniel Mitchell, one of Rome's founders. It was one his last construction projects.

[Selected Comments:]

Joan Ledbetter
Love the design!

Ruth Baird Shaw
It looks beautiful with the snow!

Thom Holt
Who did he build it for ??

Wanda Mulkey Dagraedt
Lots of character there. Lovely.

Craig Brewer
I really love the old houses....especially Mom and Dad's in Cave Spring....so much character.

Terrell Shaw
Craig, my ancestor Joel Brewer was the first Ordinary (now called Probate Judge) of Polk County. He lived, and is buried, at Fish Creek between Rockmart and Cedartown. Any chance we are cousins?

Craig Brewer
Could be...

Laurie Craw
One of your and Sheila's many contributions to the community is restoring this architectural beauty.

Jane Jameson
Absolutely beautiful! I grew up in a home built in 1867 by my grandfather, C C McKenzie. Does your home have the fake baseboards under closets for hiding valuables? My grandfather also built the original Fifth Ave Baptist Church, Forth Ward School, and a brick home with huge white columns near the old Post Office.

John Countryman
Great house. And you have taken loving care of it!

Sandy Doughty
It's gorgeous!!!

Michael J. Burton
Looking good. It's worth all the headaches.

___________________

February 17, 2014

I have been told that this house on 11th St., like our home,
was built by Daniel Mitchell, one of Rome's founders.
Comments:
Jane Jameson:
Mr and Mrs R E Worsham owned this home. They were cousins to us. My parents married in this home in 1936. John and Cora Stephens owned the home to the left. Graham Stephens was their son and my cousin also. I never told anyone at school. When he did not come back from lunch one day it was all I could do not to totally break down. He used to tell jokes of what he and his best friend did to get in trouble. His best friend and cousin was my dad! Graham would always wink at me in telling the stories. I KNEW he was talking about Dad!

His family is buried next to my parents at Myrtle Hill.

Our home was down the street across from 4th Ward . Nancy and Patsy Horton lived across the street from the Worshams. Jeanie and Tappy Whitehead and also Mike and Susan Whaley also l loved there as did Mike, David and Danny Henson. I have mentioned several times what a great time we had in our neighborhood. Rot Redden's niece and nephew were Susan and Mike.

In the summer of 2012 Clyde Collier organized a reunion of children who attended our school. Well over 150 were in attendance. Great little school.

No comments:

Post a Comment