Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: Pinhole Cameras

(Picture stolen from the internet)

From Jackie Huether's Facebook:

It’s funny, I’ve always cherished pictures. And now more than ever, as a way of holding on to what isn’t there. I look through them on occasion, some I’m trying to fix because of age or damage. I see my family pictures one after the other, even though there is usually the one face missing(mine). I have always taken, enjoyed, and shared when possible,but they will never replace the real memories in my heart.  
Mr. Terrell Shaw taught photography while my brother was old enough to take it, I didn’t get the pleasure. They used old quaker oatmeal boxes and made pin hole cameras. Even had a dark room and learned how to develop their own film, something missed in the digital age. And even though I had looked through my family photos, I think that is when the real bug hit me. Either my brother or one of the other kids in the class, had taken a picture of a guy standing next to a coca cola cup the same height as him(cool).  
My first camera was a yardsale polaroid for $3, the film cost more than the camera. My next step was a 110(if you don’t know don’t ask LOL), very proud of that camera as well. then I finally stepped up to a little point and shoot 35 mm, and of course graduated to bigger and better.  
But the one thing that I do know for sure, is that it’s not the camera but the imagination of the mind that holds it. And you can take great pictures, but the most perfect ones are of your family (never ever miss that opportunity). May life hold in it’s hands all you will ever dream of, even if you only get to hold on to it a split second. Because no matter how long there life entwined in yours, when there gone it only feels like a split second.

Deborah Smith Yetman
Beautifully said Jackie.


Terrell Shaw
It's neat to think that something we did could have been interesting enough to a little brother that he remembers it nearly 40 years later. Thanks for reviving my memories of some great times and great students! 

pastedGraphic.png

Those pinhole cameras were a lot of fun. It seemed like only one picture in ten generally turned out well enough to keep, but the kids were always thrilled and fascinated with any recognizable image. Thanks for spurring some good memories. During my four years in that corner classroom at McHenry I taught mostly combined classes of 4th & 5th graders or 5th & 6th graders. Because of that I taught lots of kids for two years each and a few for three years, so I became especially close to them.


Exer McClure

Very well said! 

No comments:

Post a Comment