Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: For the Brag Book

From Chan Gray who was one of my Kaleidoscope students back in the eighties. 

Doing my Snow Day School Work.  I always think about the most influential teachers I had.  By default, my Mother.  A teacher who was a huge influence on me, but also so many others.  Linda Hatcher, Allen B. Gifford, Terrell Shaw, Rick Brown, Sra. Teresa Gipson Ford...and the thing that makes them stick out in my mind was that they were teachers but the didn't "act like teachers".  

Linda Hatcher doing Science Experiments in the classroom (Not a lab, but her regular classroom)

Giff going nUtS on people for not doing homework.  I mean NuTs  Yelling, throwing his arms around.  Throw books and papers around...and all because he cared what happened to his kids.

Mr. Shaw because when we walked into Kaleidoscope, you knew he was going to do something cool.  Trips to Marshall Forest, allowing us to play Chess ( Gary LeCroy )after our work was done.

Rick Brown talking about seeing the Rolling Stones at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium in 1970 or so.  (I was thinking, This Cat saw The Stones in 1970?  He is COOL.)

Sra. Gipson berating  Gregory Scott Pike for tryingto speak Spanish by adding an -o to English words, "Homework-o".

Anyone with the background in a subject can teach Social Studies.  What I want is for my students to finish 7th Grade and say, "I remember when Mr. Gray said...".  Education sucks.  THAT is Teaching.


---------

Matilda Caldwell Wood
I have a few moments from your 8th grade Social Studies class that will always stick with me. And believe me, we all knew Mr. Gray was a cool teacher. 

🙂 You always had a perspective that made things fun and understandable, but connected it to history. Greatly enjoyed your class.


Teresa Gipson Ford
Aww, shucks. You made me smile-o.


Chandler Gray
Thank you Matilda, that is high praise from someone has intelligent as you :0)


Nena Campbell
Most definitely Mr. Gray was a memorable teacher! Loved your class and have many great memories pastedGraphic.png


Chandler Gray
Sra. when Gregory Scott Pike brought home made salsa for his project and told everyone to be careful of wood chips bc he got the spoon caught in the blender when he was making it. Or when you would click onto out headphones and say, "Chan. This is Spanish Class. It might be good to actually speak Spanish during this assignment."


Chandler Gray
Thank you Quitta Sanders :0)


Dondra Crawford
I was in there with you two stooges-- Chandler Gray and Gregory Scott Pike! I definitely remember the impressions Teresa Gipson Ford made on me. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt she loved her job and had fun doing it. It made me want to learn. That kind of enthusiasm is contagious.


Rick Brown
You brought a smile to my day today again, just like you did many times when you were a senior.


Linda Hatcher
Chandler Gray
you are far too kind-I love being included with the awesome group of educators you have a heart for!


Stacie Hembree Buffington
Chandlers Gray, I too find that I want to make the same impact on !y students that many did on me. I was influenced by all the teachers you mentioned as well. Linda Hatcher taught me as much about life as she did about school. As far as Gford : Allen Gifford goes well he fought me to teach me a subject that I truly hated at the time. The hours I spent after school having him spoonfeed me the answers were actually teaching me so much more. He could surly blow his top like no one else around. I never had Terrell Shaw but I had the pleasure of teaching with him for a short time. He is one of a kind. Both of my sons had him and loved him. He could stay in historical character all day. He is kisses at AES. Rick Brown thought me that the only way to get better at anything was to keep trying. I never was confident in science until him. Senorita Gipson aka Teresa Ford taught me so very many things. The main one being that life is hard for everyone but we have no choice but to live it. HS would never have been as much fun without her quick wit and love. Sounds to me like you have already impacted a good number of students. Keep it up and thanks for the trip down memory lane.


Linda Hatcher
Thanks Melissa Dennison


Gregory Scott Pike
I love the 3 I had in ur list


Teresa Gipson Ford
Believe it or not, teachers have favorites, too, and you folks are near the top of my list! Thanks for making my day!


Gregory Scott Pike
u were 1 of my favs ,Allen B and Linda H. You all 3 influenced me to be better.


Tomme Eldridge
There is no easy way to describe the teachers in Rockmart and not smile while doing it! For me, I was a transplant by late middle school. Linda Hatcher did not only teach us science but about life. Even though at the time, I would ask lots of non-science related questions to try and "throw her off subject, she would always readily answer them all. And we all learned something even if it we didn't realize that were learning usable life lessons. I often see Linda when I close my eyes in bouncy shoes and a wig- as a clown which is what she dressed up for Halloween. I must say though I did get busted the one and only time for cheating in her class when Teri Rattler, Teresa and I stole not only the pretest but the answers. I think the whole class made a 98 (which wasn't suspicious at all). Three days ISS and not being able to talk was enough for me to change my ways forever. Ha
And Sra. Teresa Gipson how could you ever miss the huge Bartles & James cut out (thank you for your support)as you walked in her door and not know as a teenager that this was the teacher for you. I remember not only learning but laughing a lot in her class. But I also remember helping her to reach out to the Spanish community by bringing in essentials and a bassinet. She too taught me life lessons that I try and fulfill to this day.
So Chandler, if I didn't know you and only knew you too had these wonderful teachers, I would be able to surmise that you too make an unforgettable educator and role model!!!


Terrell Shaw
Thanks again, Chan (and Stacie) It's wonderful to see my grown-uo "kids" influencing others in positive ways. It is an absolute joy to be able to see/read/hear from those younguns who were such a big part of my life in decades gone by. Facebook can be a big time-waster and aggravation, but posts like yours make me love it.
Here's a post I wrote about my elementary teachers:
http://aloneonalimb.blogspot.com/.../sunday-seven-blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment