Saturday, May 28, 2022

Anamchara

"...anyone without a soul friend is like a body without a head." - Brigid of Kildare

I have been privileged in my seventy-five years to have some true "anamchara" -- soul friends. Kindred sprits are so vital to a well-lived life. Sheila is my best friend. She has seen me at my best and at my worst and still she loves me.

Today it struck me as I fellowshipped at Mike Burton's Anamchara Gallery in Cedartwon, that I was among kindred spirits. My pictures are not great but I post them here so that I can revisit this day more easily.




Mike bought this storefront in downtown Cedartown and, with his usual reckless abandon, set about transforming it into a recording studio, film studio, musical venue, art exhibit space. He wants his music-loving boys, Miles and Cody, to have a performance space. He wanted his artist friends, John Johnston, Grover Hogan, and others -- as well as himself -- to have studio and exhibit opportunities. He wanted his folk music enthiusiasts, like me and Richard Ware, to have a place for "hootenannies". He envisions it as a spot for storytelling, recording, and videoing. So he just plunged in and did it. Will it work out financially? It's a long shot probably, but how I admire this fearless grab-life-by-the-horns "anamchara" of mine.

I was about to snap a picture of this ceramic sculpture by John Johnston when the artist wheeled a big trash can behind it!



Michael J. Burton has been my friend since the 1960s. Some of the drawings on the wall and the bronze scultures in the foreground date back a few decades. I have always admired Mike's drawings and his scultures. We have one in our living room.

I remember Kieth Drew (on the left) as Mike's young preacher friend from several decades ago when he was pastor at Cave Spring United Methodist Church. Stve Craw has been our friend since 1975, and was our business partner when we were publishers together of Broadside weekly newspaper in the seventies.

Miles (left) and Cody Burton (only his hat shows above the music stand) are Mike's sons. They have developed into pretty good musicians!

Grover Hogan (left) is Mike's cousin and mentor. His exquisite prints line one wall of the exhibit. Lucy Hale has also been a friend and kindred spirit in progressive political endeavors over a couple of decades. 

Mike (right) and Stephen Hale solving the problems of the world together.

The ceramics on this table were by a younger artist whose name escapes me right now and whom I had not met before.


Sheila (right) and Laurie Craw exploring the art. Laurie is a wonderful painter and potter herself.






No comments:

Post a Comment