Thursday, May 05, 2022

This Old House

 Our new neighbor Kady called us to the fence to ask some questions about her old house (actually a couple of years older than ours!) During our discussion she showed the cellphone pics of a page from a city directory she found at the library. Wow! It is the OLDEST image of OUR HOUSE that I have ever seen! Wow. I love this. I can't wait to make a better copy.

The label reads: "RESIDENCE OF HON. WM. A. WRIGHT, WEST ROME" 

William A. Wright bought our house from James A. Bale on Dec. 11, 1871 (Deed Book S, Page 76) and deeded it to Mrs. Mary A. Wingfield Dec. 28, 1894 (Deed Book YY, Page 283) So I think this image would likely date between the annexation of Desoto into Rome (1885) and 1894.

Look at that fence. And the street lamp. And the cresting. And the slate roof. And the baby Magnolia at the back that is now huge.










1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. What a great picture — the sky, the trees and fence make a great frame. It was a grand construction when it was built and you have made it beautiful today. I wonder how your back yard would have looked in 1871 with the river right there. Is there any record that the house was ever flooded? I'm wanting to see your presentations at the story-telling festival that you participated in. Is there a link somewhere? And, I'm wondering if you will be home at the first of August and if that would be a possible time to visit. I will be in Chattanooga on July 30 for the wedding of my great niece so I will be close to Rome and I'd love to visit with you and Sheila.

    ReplyDelete