Monday, July 18, 2022

Covid Day 2


This blog really serves two purposes for me. It is, as the name may imply, a safety valve where I can express my heartfelt and sometimes vehement opinions without directly confronting folks I love. But it has also become something of a public journal of my day-to-day life.  This entry is mainly to help myself remember the course of this virus:

After my morning diagnosis yesterday the symptoms worsened during the day and night. I slept very little last night. I was really miserable. I felt very congested. My temperature was normal every time I checked it, but I felt HOT. I was headachy and a little woozy when I stood up. If I managed to to sleep at all I was soon awakened for another trip to the restroom. Dr. Arora had told me to drink lots of liquids and I have obeyed. 

The medicine prescribed is a five-day, two-drug cocktail of two nirma trelvir and one ritonavir tablets twice a day. I took the first dose as soon as I got 'em yesterday afternoon. I noticed no improvement in symptoms, as a matter of fact I continued to feel worse during the night.  I addition I have had an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth during the night (a side-effect of the medicine Dr. Arora had told me about). I took my morning dose at six this morning and saw marked improvement in symptoms all day. I just took another dose at six p.m. 

I even managed to get a little work done today: I notified the folks at Chickamauga library that I would have to reschedule, and got out an e-mail to my co-workers about my illness. I was pleased that The folks at Chickamauga got right back to me with a rescheduled date, and thank heavens it fits in my calendar. I have never performed at that library before and I hated to lose that opportunity.

Despite the unpleasant extra taste that I think is a side effect of the medicine, I have been pleasantly surprised that I have so-far kept my beloved sense of taste. Sheila brings me delicious meals. I ate them and mildly enjoyed them but was too miserable yesterday and at breakfast this morning to really appreciate them properly. But the hamburger she fixed me tonight was delicious! I can still taste!

Sheila suggested I bring a comfortable armchair and ottoman into the bedroom, so I write this on  a MacBook atop a lap-desk ensconced in a soft upholstered chair. I have slept a little during the day today. And told Sheila I would sleep now (after supper) but now am wide awake. Maybe I can sleep an hour or so before "Better Call Saul" comes on tonight; Can't miss that.

I feel almost guilty writing about these things since several of my six siblings are dealing with worse health issues right now. And just think: this monstrous virus has killed millions, including one beloved former student of mine, and several relatives or friends of my friends. As I have mentioned more than once the last two days, I have many blessings to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment