Monday, July 25, 2022

Discuss the Holy Books

In 2000 I got to play Tevye in Rome Little Theatre's production of Fiddler on the Roof. Oh, how I relished that experience. 

The cast of RLT's 2000 production of Fiddler on the Roof, back when my beard was brown.

During the years around the turn of the century the arts in Rome had a wonderful cheerleader whose name was Sam Peller. I did not know him well but met him several times and at least twice was the beneficiary of his kind reviews in letters to the editor of the Rome News Tribune

Mr. Peller and his wife were also acquaintances of my Mother, I think through the Rome Area Writers group. Anyway my mother saw this piece of art that he created and bought it! That's right, ladies and gents, my frugal Mother, the daughter of the depression, who rarely bought anything besides staples outside of Rome's thrift stores, paid good American money for a piece of artwork. 

And I always loved it, because it reminds me of the man who said nice things about my performances in Shenandoah and Fiddler on the Roof and it reminds me of these lines from one of my very favorites roles:

...If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack

To sit in the synagogue and pray

And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall

And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, 

    seven hours every day

And that would be the sweetest thing of all...

-Tevye, from Fiddler on the Roof  


Now I am executor of my Mother's estate and last week my siblings and I distributed part of the estate, and this artwork was my first choice in the "Wall Stuff" category. I haven't decided yet where I'll hang it. But is is one of only a few items I was really hoping that I'd get to keep of Mother's belongings. Now the piece will also remind me of Mother.

Maybe some of my friends knew Mr. Peller. Here is Mr' Peller's obituary from the Daniel's Funeral Home website:

Mr. Sam Peller, 94, of Rome, GA, passed away at his residence early Saturday, December 15, 2012.

Mr. Peller was born July 5, 1918 in New York City where he spent most of his life until moving South in 1991. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 70 years, Rose Goodman Peller. Survivors include his children, Mrs. Nancy (and Bruce) Matzner of Great Neck, Long Island, and Dr. Jeffrey (and Shelly) Peller of Rome, Georgia. Survivors also include grandchildren Adam Peller of Asheville, NC; Rachel Peller of Atlanta, GA; Andrew (and LeeRay Costa) Matzner of Roanoke, VA; Gregg (and Jennifer) Matzner of Philadelphia, PA; and great grandchildren, Tallulah, Dahlia, and Naomi Matzner. 

Although trained as a commercial artist, Mr. Peller spent his working years in the diamond industry, initially as a diamond cutter and then as a diamond broker. He maintained his artistic interests and creativity throughout his life, and he never lost his desire to sell, gift or donate his various pieces of artwork. 

Mr. Peller was an active member of the Diamond Dealers' Club in NYC, B'nai B'rith, and Rodeph Sholom Congregation in Rome. For many years, Mr. and Mrs. Peller, and later just Sam, hosted a weekly Jewish study group in their home with interfaith community members. Mr. Peller was an avid lover and supporter of the fine arts in Rome, with opera and and classical music his two favorites. In past years, he was known to have written numerous letters to the editor of the Rome News Tribune singing the praises of local artists and performers and urging support and attendance at many plays, concerts and recitals. He frequently praised local talent as being comparable to the performers on Broadway or at Lincoln Center. 

Funeral services, led by Rabbi Judith Beiner, were held graveside, Sunday, December 16th, 1:00 PM, at the Jewish Cemetery on Mt. Aventine. The family will receive friends at the residence, 206 Sherwood Road, following the funeral service. Friends are invited to join the family as they observe the shiva (mourning) period, Monday through Thursday evenings this week, at the home of Jeffrey and Shelly Peller.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to Rodeph Sholom Congregation, P.O. Box 425, Rome, GA 30162-0425, or to your favorite arts organization. Daniels Funeral Home has charge of the arrangements. 




No comments:

Post a Comment