Sunday, July 17, 2022

Rude Awakening

I woke about three this morning and realized that I felt rotten. Stuffed up nose, headachy, kinda hot. I haven't had a cold since sometime before March 11, 2020, but best I could remember, that's what this felt like. I woke again a couple of times before Sheila did, still feeling bad. We decided, just to be on the safe side I should take a Covid Test -- even though I'd just taken one last Tuesday.

I have had uncounted Covid tests during the last two years. Since I visited my Mother almost daily for the first year and a half of the pandemic, and since I still visit senior centers for storytelling frequently, I try to be very careful. 

Sheila helped me set up the test. I showered while we waited the fifteen minutes for results. I was confident this would be another negative result. 

Sheila informed me, even before I finished showering that our next week (hopefully only that) will be very different than we had expected. Tomorrow the Matthews cousins were to begin arriving at our house for a three-day family reunion. Our reunion last year was interrupted when Mother had a her stroke, so we were really looking forward to being with some of our favorite folks for a few days. Thursday, I would be visiting a new audience, the folks at Chickamauga's public library. 

Not now. All because of that second line in the little plastic window below:


From what I have read my period of maximum contagion probably began Friday and will continue through Tuesday or Wednesday. My wonderful medical doctor, Anandita Arora at Harbin Family Practice, took time from her family -- I could hear a child in the background -- on a Sunday to call me, advise me, and prescribe the latest combo of medical magic to help my already fully vaccinated and boosted immune system fight off the virus. I will quarantine in one part of the house while Sheila stays in another. Sheila and I mask up when she (Bless her!) brings me food, meds, and occasional goodies and places them on a small table set up for that purpose at my bedroom door. Y'all pray that she avoids the infection.

So far so good: I feel a little hot. When I stand I feel a little woozy and headachy. My dose is stuffed up. My eyes burn a little. I'm drinking lots of liquids as directed, so I'm keeping a well-worn path to that little room. I'm back to washing my hands over and over. 

At seventy-five I know I have to take this very seriously and I am. But I am in pretty good shape for such an old geezer. I am confident that the vaccines and boosters have me as ready as possible, and I have excellent medical care. 

Meanwhile if you were with me in the last few days, especially on Friday or Saturday, get yourself tested if you have any symptoms at all. 
-------
Here are the places I remember going the last few days:
  • I think it is highly unlikely that I was contagious on Wednesday. That was the day I told stories at the Rockmart and Cedartown libraries. (Thank goodness this is July and we have no Wednesday night choir practice this month.)
  • Thursday I told stories at the Rome Library
  • Thursday  I stopped by an estate sale in Armuchee (I was masked).
  • Friday I told stories at Foundation Camp at Georgia Highlands. 
  • Friday I stopped by the estate sale in Armuchee again (I did NOT mask this time! Ugh.)
  • Saturday I walked through Home Depot -- mostly the outdoor plant area.
  • Saturday I walked quickly through TJ Maxx
  • I was in and out of Arrowhead several times, but I dealt only with animals; I do not think I came in contact with any other humans while I was there.

------

Later note: about 9 p.m. --a pretty miserable day. Still mainly clogged, hot, and headachy. I slept for a couple of hours. Laid around half-listening to podcasts most of the day. Worthless.

Sheila tested negative, but she'll need to test again -- may not have gotten far enough along. She ran through the Walgreen's drive-thru to pick up my medicine and called in a good supper from Jerusalem Grill and drove through to pick that up. I ate it all, but wasn't much interested in food to be truthful. 

Hope I can sleep tonight.

I know I have waxed eloquent on the beauty, kind heart, and brilliance of Sheila Ann Matthews Shaw, but may I reiterate: I am a fortunate man.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sorry you are suffering from this awful bug and glad we have new medicines to help. Hope you are feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete