Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Why I am a United Methodist

A small hand-carved plaque featuring the
Cross and Flame symbol of the United Methodist Church.

I hesitate to write a post like this. You see, I know what a rank sinner I am. But I also know that I am not alone; all churches are made up, by definition, of sinners!

I grew up in the The Methodist Church, then in the late sixties our denomination joined with the Evangelical United Brethren to become the United Methodist Church. We are a connectional denomination rather than a congregational denomination. At one time there was a United Methodist Church in every county in the United States. Together our large denomination sponsors many worldwide, regional, state, and local missions. I have been a part of this denomination since birth -- both of my parents were United Methodist pastors! -- and I plan to continue to be a United Methodist the rest of my life. 

What a wonderful influence on my life my church has been!
  • Of course my parents' sermons and witness were a great influence.
  • The Sunday School teachers and Vacation Bible Schools at Antioch and Mackville and Midway and Sunnyside and Watkins Memorial and Trinity taught and inspired me.
  • I attended Camp Glisson eight times in seven years as a kid and teen --- Holy Dirt! That great ministry of many decades is the result of strong connectional ties of many congregations working together.
  • Sheila and I have belonged to our local congregation, Trinity UMC, for over fifty years now! We have been blessed by a wide variety UMC pastors James Sanders, Scobie Branson, David Naglee, Paul Hanna, George Freeman, David Campbell, Nanci Hicks, and many others.
  • Our daughters were baptized here and sang in Cherub, Children's and Youth choirs. They each attended Camp Glisson as well.
  • Almost every Christmas eve I spend some reverent time standing quietly in Trinity's nativity scene contemplating Jesus' humble birth and what he has meant to the world, but much more personally to me and mine.
  • From its inception our denomination has had a strong social commitment. The early Methodists opposed slavery, accepted women into ministry, and sought to minister to all.
  • When disaster strikes anywhere in the world, we know our United Methodist Church, through its wonderful connectional ministries, will be on the scene with relief for suffering people.
You may have heard that in this divisive age even our "united" denomination is divided. It breaks my heart that some, even some that I dearly love, want to break away from our denomination. Some want to move toward a more congregational structure. Some are worried that the denomination will become more inclusive than they want.

I will stay.

If you are without a church home, come visit us. [Especially if you sing tenor!] You will hear strong scripture-based sermons. If you are like me you will be convicted by them and inspired to be a better person. You will hear good music. You will have opportunities to be in mission. And you will be among a very loving group of admitted sinners, seeking to more perfectly love God and each other.
.
In this article some other North Georgia Methodists express why they are United Methodists.

No comments:

Post a Comment