Friday, July 15, 2022

Foundation Camp 2022

 I had a great time with the young men at Foundation Camp at Georgia Highlands. I told my tall tale "Yellowtail" about my pet Copperhead. And I showed off two great snakes to have around the yard: a Corn Snake aka Red Rat Snake and an Eastern King Snake. I am on a one-man crusade to convince folks to give up their fear and loathing of these beautiful and valuable and harmless critters. Many thanks to 100 Black Men and Georgia Highlands College for sponsoring this great camp program.

Here are some pictures posted by the camp director, Dr. Jon Hershey:


The Corn Snake prized by farmers for his rodent control skills. 

Some say he gets his name from hanging around corn cribs to hunt mice. 

Others say his belly looks like Indian corn. 

The Eastern King Snake is just as good at rodent control and has this added benefit: he is immune to the venom of pit vipers and can kill and eat them!


No comments:

Post a Comment