Sunday, February 08, 2009

Gleaning Facebook: 37 Odd Things About Me

 Why not? 37 Odd Things About Me.

1. Do you like bleu cheese? yes. I like all cheeses. One of the hardest things to wrap my mind around as a chubby old man who needs to reduce his intake of fats, is that cheese is ugly fat, in fact, not delicious and nutritious good-for-a-growing-boy real food.

2. Have you ever smoked? Yes. Most of the other teachers seemed to smoke when I was in the Teacher Corps, and I stupidly took it up. Sheila never smoked and I used my marriage to her as an opportunity to go cold turkey and give it up. I’d probably, otherwise, be mouldering at East View.

3. Do you own a gun? No

4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite? Lemonade

6. What do you think of hot dogs? Nothing beats a good hot dog, though I did give ‘em up after Daddy took me to the meat plant on Old Furnace Rd where they were made in those days. (G’Ross!!!)

7. Favorite Christmas movie? It’s a Wonderful Life

8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Coffee and OJ

9. Can you do push ups? Used to, who knows now.

10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? My lost wedding band (sob)

image

Playing Maurice in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Rome City Auditorium, c. 2005

11. Favorite hobby? singing, acting, storytelling, rambling the woods, people watching, reading, blogging, political item collecting, photography, ....

12. Do you have A. D. D.? Probably. If 10 year old “Terry” could be transported to 2009, they’d have me on adderol, fer sure.

13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? glasses. I like my new no-line multifocals, except that at night I see lots of distracting reflections of lights -- is it s’posed to be that way?

14. Middle name? Terrell (My first name is Charles after my Daddy and his Granddaddy.)

15.. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment: I should get off the computer and to work; I’m worried about my great niece, Lily who is back in the hospital; Is this recession gonna last months or years?

16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink. Coffee, (we brew Dunkin’ Donuts coffee at home, and prefer it or McDonald’s coffee on the road. Why does anyone drink that bitter concoction that Starbucks sells at exorbitant prices?) water, sweet tea (I prefer that diabetes in a tall glass that my mother-in-law hooked me on.)

17. Current worry? Lily

18. Current hate right now? Knee-jerk politics of all varieties

image

Showing off wild ginger to my fourth-graders 2008

19. Favorite place to be? With Sheila and our daughters, with family and friends, on stage, rambling the woods,

20. How did you bring in the new year? Home with Sheila

21. Where would you like to go? Hawaii, England, Alaska, Kenya, Queens, Macon, canoeing on the Oostanaula, walking at Whitmore's Bluff...

22. Name three people who will complete this: Not a clue!

23. Do you own slippers? Yep, wore ‘em this morning while I fixed coffee and read the papers (RNT and AJC)

24. What color shirt are you wearing? Blue, fine-checked, long-sleeved, Armuchee Elementary emblazoned, button-down collared.

image

On the HMS Bounty - Heave away!

25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I suspect there are things I would enjoy doing on satin sheets, but I don’t remember having the opportunity. Sleeping is what I do when I can no longer hold open my eyes.

26. Can you whistle? Yes, just now it was Dixie. Don’t know why.

27. Where are you now? sitting at an old fashioned enamel top kitchen table which serves as my computer table.

28. Would you be a pirate? Been there, done that: Peter Pan, Rome Little Theater, 9 performances, 1991. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

29. What songs do you sing in the shower? Nessun dorma, or what ever Angela and I are working on that week.

image

At High Bridge KY with my lover

30. Favorite Girl's Name? The one I’m kissing... Sheila for the last 38 years.

31. Favorite boy's name? Terrell (The accent properly belongs to the first syllable.)

32. What is in your pocket right now? cell phone, car keys, a note with a phone # I have forgotten to call, an AA Duracell battery (I don’t remember why), a Nikon Coolpix camera (just got back from a walk and I always have to have a camera, just in case), the key ring with my school keys, house keys, and playground whistle, a die, a quarter, my checkbook, a handkerchief, a fat billfold (i wish it were fat with $$$, it’s not.

33. Last thing that made you laugh? "This American Life" on NPR podcast I listened to on our walk.

34. What vehicle do you drive? A Toyota Rav 4 and a red GMC truck

35. Worst injury you've ever had? I stepped onto a chair while home alone cleaning in our living room, my weight destroyed the chair, and I fell through our bay window , badly cutting my shoulder on the shattered 100 year old glass.

image

Home Sweet Home, Christmas, c 2007

36. Do you love where you live? Oh, yes! How many folks can walk nearly six miles as I did ths afternoon, without crossing a street.

37.. How many TVs do you have in your house? Two

Now, if you like copy and answer the questions yourself...GO!

Comments:

Kendra L Harris I ADORE your home! I remember when I heard that you had acquired it and were restoring it... it is beautiful! You are a lucky man! I remember walking through the preserve on Horseleg with you (I suppose it was in middle school?), and thinking how nice it was to be out in nature, noticing things I would NEVER have seen before! I had a picture of a tree that had split itself out of it's trunk and was growing two separate trees from one base... had it for years.. wonder where it is now? Anyway, cool memories! I pass by there all the time and think of that walk that day. Thanks so much for all you taught us. Glad to see you're still teaching now. And one of my more memorable moments in your class is quite funny/ironic... You asked us as part of a 20 questions game, for a bonus, to spell Armuchee correctly... No one got it right.. well, no, that's not right. I think maybe Ronnie Stamey did. Perhaps he had gone there? He did transfer in to Pepperell. Now you teach there! Cool!

Terrell Shaw Thank you, Kendra, for this heart-warming comment. You Kaleidoscope kids are very special to me and it is great to catch up on your doins!! About Armuchee: We say Armu"r"chee stole its extra "r" sound which accounts for the missing "r" sound in "Mahtha" Berry. I am certainly a lucky man. Finding all these "old" students, like sweet little Kendra Harris, on fb reminds me of that.

Jane Baird Lathem Terry, I loved your answers. #25 bordered on being 'more information than I needed'!!!

Amanda Hearn Sims I agree with Jane...LOL Love you Uncle!

Wendy Ramsey I need more time to do this justice - maybe later!

Wendy Ramsey 12:56 AM!!! What are you doing up at 12:56 AM?? Mybe you do need some satin sheets!

Terrell Shaw Pretty ridiculous, I admit. I think I drank too much caffeine late.


No comments:

Post a Comment