Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Post About Guns; Get Comments

Bring back this guy, National Rifle Association. He actually sounded like mainstream America.

Raymond Atkins
Wonder what he'd say about a semi-auto with a 30-round clip


Kevin J. Lennon
Well before the NRA got hijacked by radicals in the mid 70's.


Jim Keel
"General promiscuous toting of guns", that's a line I'll have to remember! There are many people I know, whose possession of guns makes me feel safer... there are also VERY many people whom I look at and think that gun ownership should not necessarily be an unregulated right. It is an honor and a duty, in my mind

Michael J. Sarver
Knowing the names and addresses of law abiding citizens who own guns serves what purpose? Solves nothing. Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally ill citizens...there's a concept you refuse to acknowledge or promote. Why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel?


Terrell Shaw
Mike, how many ways can I say it: we need to work to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. I believe that statistics indicate that the proposals that the President has made - several of which deal specifically with the very folks you mention - will help us do that without infringing on legitimate rights under the Second Amendment.

I further believe that a correct reading of the arguments, diaries, letters, and history of our founding fathers shows that the Second Amendment was aimed at assuring an effective "well regulated" militia (Could that be the National Guard?) to protect the government of "We the People" from enemies, foreign and domestic, who would foment war or insurrections against it. George Washington personally led such a militia against the Whiskey Rebellion - folks who disagreed with our elected national government in 1794.
I also believe that on this issue, as well as most other continuing dust-ups among "We the People" there will always be a tension between those who interpret the Constitution differently. That is healthy. I do not think it is healthy for us to accuse each other of base motives, without support for those accusations. The quote above helps to point out that the President's position is not the radical one that the more extreme elements of the current NRA say, but is in fact in the mainstream of a long debate over the correct line between liberty and good "regulation".


George Barton
You can read this quote in context if you have time, Congressional hearing in 1934. http://www.keepandbeararms.com/nra/nfa.asp
pastedGraphic.png

KEEPANDBEARARMS.COM
Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters
Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters



Michael J. Sarver
Thank you for that Terrell. I still don't understand the need of knowing the names and addresses of the LAW ABIDING who own guns, what purpose does it serve? Surely your not suggesting this is part of the "work we need to do to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill" ? Are you suggesting it all starts with a law abiding gun owner?
I thank God for the NRA. I can only imagine where "we the people" would be without them trying to defend the 2nd Amendment.
I said this yesterday...I do not agree with our current left leaning President and his supporters, their beliefs, philosophy, policies and ACTIONS. There are much more meaningful actions they should be taking to improve the lives and lively hood of us all. And much more effective ways of protecting people. Wasting time and money on AR15's and gun clips, getting my name and address? Really? Are there "base motives" ? I don't know, but, I don't like what I've seen so far from these people, I can't trust in this government and you can that really is the problem between you and I.

Michael J. Sarver
Thanks George Barton!


Sarah L. Flannigan
THIS NOT 1934



 

No comments:

Post a Comment