Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gleaning FaceTime: Christmas 2014

Most years beginning in 1962, on the evening of December 24, you would find me at Trinity United Methodist Church here in Rome. And there I was last night. This time sitting on the back row on the right side, far from my usual pew, so Lillian and I (Sheila's cough kept her home) could sit with Debi and Gregg, Lisette, Andrew, Matthew and Emily, and especially our recently added great-niece Annabelle. We sang the carols, heard Hannah and Susan sing O Holy Night, listened to David's meditation, took communion, lighted our candles and with a sanctuary crammed with Christmas Eve worshippers, lifted our candles to light the room as we repeated the first verse, voices only, of Silent Night.
Then off to the fellowship hall to get ready for the Live Nativity tradition. I made a quick trip home to collect Sheila for a brief visit to the church.
During this "lost Christmas" we have both been sick. Upper respiratory misery. Much tradition has slipped by without our participation. Parties, concerts, etc.: none.
But I had that prized thirty-minutes, standing with my box of gold (or maybe frankincense?) and in a ridiculous "Wise Man"s costume. I've only missed those quiet Christmas Eve minutes a few times during the last fifty years. The back ache distracted me, but still I enjoyed that enforced period of contemplation about Christmases past, the first and those of my own life, and the Love that we celebrate this day.

Happy Christmas!

Laurie Craw
As much as I always want to cut back on the traditions because there seem to be too many to cram into a few days, I realized this year that those traditions are so important. To keep families together, to focus on the truly important things in life, to think about others instead of ourselves, and to be truly grateful for all we have.

Emily Barksdale Moore Threlkeld
Annabelle is BEAUTIFUL! Merry Christmas- and I hope you both feel better asap!

Ann Gore
Sorry you all have been sick! Hope you are better! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Shaws!


Michael J. Burton
My mama sure loved that tradition.


Julie Hatfield Burton
Hope you and Sheila will take easy recovery soon!

Terrell Shaw
We are both doing much better, Julie. Thanks!


Madelyn Collette
I did not get to participate in any of these activities because of a problem Drs. can't quite determine the cause. So thankful to be able to go 3 of the Sundays in Advent and cook a little for Christmas.


Alice Jeffries Keel
Terrell Shaw we were driving by Trinity last evening about between 5:30 and 6:00 on our way back to Douglasville. We commented that we guessed they weren't having it on Christmas Eve - guess we just missed it by a bit. It is always so sweet!

Terrell Shaw

Dec. 20-24, 7-9 pm, every year. 


-----------------

My Mother loves me! I used to always ask for this cake for my birthday. She surprised me today with a Date-Nut Cake for Christmas! I may skip turkey and go straight for the dessert!
Years ago my co-workers at Pepperell Elementary (Priscilla Wooley & others) had heard me wax eloquent about Mama's Date-Nut Cake and decided to treat me with one on my birthday for breakfast at the diner in the big old company store building in Lindale (now gone). We gathered there before school, and out came the waitress with a stack of pancakes adorned with tiny calendar pages and small nuts of the hardware variety (and candles of course.)
I like pancakes, but I'll enjoy this Date-Nut Cake even more than that prank-cake of the early eighties.

Terrell Shaw Mother just told me that "Mama worked out that recipe." She also said, "Don't tell everybody I made that cake just for you! I made it for everybody!" But I know it's for me. 

Ann Gore Looks good!


Terrell Shaw It is. She doubled the dates on this one. Lots of pecans. Very rich and delicious.


Claudia Kennedy Yum, yum. You are one blessed man.

Joyce Mink Recipe?
Terrell Shaw
OK, here goes:


Three Layer Cake

(from the One-Two-Three-Four layer-cake from scratch recipe)

1 c. butter

2 c. sugar

3 c. flour

4 eggs

1 c. milk

1.5 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

Cream sugar salt & butter in large bowl. Beat yolks into mixture one-at-a-time till light & fluffy. Add vanilla.

Sift flour & baking powder together. Add flour & milk alternately to the creamed mixture. Blend well after each addition.

Beat egg whites stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Turn into 3 greased and floured 9 in. cake pans. Bake 350 degrees about 35 min. or until a fork comes out clean. Turn layers onto cooling rack and get busy on the filling.

Ieula Baird's Date-Nut Filling

2 cups of pecans

1 pkg of dates (Mama used two this time! Yum.)

2 c. sugar

1 stick butter

1 large can evaporated milk

Cook over medium heat for five minutes stirring constantly. Cool and spread between layers and on top and sides of three cake layers.

Invite Terrell over.

Brew some coffee to wash it down.

Jenny Sills You actually got measurements out of your mom. I am impressed. I could never get measurements from my grandmothers fro anything. Same with my dad.

--------------------

"Merry Christmas, everybody! May God bless you all. And we wish you and your family a happy and healthy 2015." —President Obama and the First Lady


No comments:

Post a Comment