Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Gleaning FaceBook: A Boy's Life

The blustering and bomb-testing (late fifties and early sixties) was scary for thirteen-year-olds too, as I recall. When I renewed my Boy's Life subscription that year (Could they have had a five year subscription period?) I wondered, quite seriously, if I, or Boys Life for that matter, would be around for all those issues.

What a gloomy note for Christmas Eve! But, hey, we survived and Boy's Life inked editions are still surviving these digital days.
And I talked briefly with Santa a while ago. He's a little aggravated with me for the interruption* and would just turn off his iPhone except he's become dependent on it to coordinate complicated resupply system with the elf/reindeer relays from the North Pole. He's making deliveries through Asia right now and, thank goodness, on track to make it to North America right on time.
* it goes without saying that releasing all that personal info on Santa, including his cell number, means a lifetime supply of stocking coal for Anonymous!

[The article by Bill Moyers is no longer available at this site]

David Marlin Rains I remember reading a Boys Life article back in the '50s. Johnny runs for a touchdown but only Johnny, not the refs or anybody, realizes he stepped out of bounds. So Johnny confesses and his team loses. At that age, I didn't have the vocabulary but I was thinking HorseManoo.
Terrell Shaw
Granted, but my idealistic young soul always looked forward to finding
Boy's Life in the mail.
David Marlin Rains O me 2
John Paul Schulz Boy's Life and Saturday Evening Post. I loved that one.

George Barton made me think of the the spoof in the movie "Airplane" where a boy on the plane is reading Boy's Life and a habited nun sitting behind him is reading Nun's Life

No comments:

Post a Comment