Thursday, February 07, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: Redemption

Photos fro the Rome News-Tribune. Click on pictures to read the RNT article.


One Community United's fourth annual HUG event featured an address by Peggy Wallace Kennedy. Ms. Kennedy read an eloquent, heart-rending, and inspiring address. I am only three years older than she and she lived inside the camp I considered my enemies for all my teen and early adulthood years. Her father, George Wallace, was the racist governor of Alabama and leader of the segregationist forces in American politics during the sixties and into the seventies. Her story of discovering her own voice, her own foundation of principle, was fascinating and at times so touching it brought tears to my eyes, and I suspect every eye in the diverse audience of several hundred Romans. I remember well my own heartbreak of loving people who -- then and some even now -- held hateful beliefs.

I wish everyone could have heard her message.

Comments


Jim Watkins I had to wipe some tears from my eyes, too.

Rita Lawler I was sick, otherwise would have been there. I believe her father did sincerely recant in his later years.

Terrell Shaw Yes, she talked about his change of heart.

Jim Watkins I'm a sucker for redemption narratives.


Anne Lewinson Hey, they're FAR better than cynical 'people never change' stories!

Benjamin Amis I wasn't sure what to expect walking in tonight. I don't think I could've expected what I got, though. Profound and moving.

Sunny Shropshire Knauss I am sorry to have had to miss it...

John McClellan I really wanted to be there tonight but couldn’t attend due to a prior commitment. As someone who was in fourth grade in Enterprise, Alabama when George Wallace was inaugurated as Governor and who watched that ceremony on television with my classmates, I know the message was worth hearing.

Tony Pope I've heard how good it was.

T Aylor Ritchie I was definitely holding back tears... And I probably let a few all the way out

Laura L Adams There are some Facebook Live video clips @BridgingTheDivides

Anita Stewart Excellent program!

Hilda Atkins Moore IT WAS INDEED AN AWESOME UNVEILING OF MISERY AND AN UNDAUNTED ATTEMPT TO RECTIFY BY AN AWESOME DAUGHTER. I LOVED IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment