Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gleaning Facebook: Mildred's 90th

Sautee-Nacoochee Community Center was packed when we got there and Mildred was reciting her poem: "Moving, Gone Dancing".
Ron is still the kind and thoughtful guy he's always been. He had several interesting stories of trips with Mildred and Philip - to Skidaway or Ossabaw - and the wonderful influence that they had on his career. And Mildred credits Ron with supporting the creation of the gifted education program in Floyd County. I remember well the "outdoor classroom" workshop in the early seventies that Mildred and Ron led out at the trestle on Big Texas Valley Road, near Huffacre. A great day!

Dorothy was about to pull away before I realized she was there!


We had a great time visiting with Ron. Even talked some '60s girlfriends and football!
Teressa Greear Holtzclaw does not age like other mortals. 
We took along an album of pictures we took about 1980 when we twice visited the Greear homeplace in Helen. Troy Carson - TC - Holtzclaw (Teressa and Bill's son) was a toddler. On one trip we had Mildred, Joanne Brannon (now Weeks) and our late friend Sue Frazier with us. We "camped out" in the little cabin and the next day hiked up Trey Mountain on a section of the Appalachian Trail. Great memories. For the second trip Mildred gave us the loan of the cabin to share with our friends Bill and Cathy Whittle and Mike Bock. We hiked a longer section of the trail on that trip driving farther north and hiking back to Helen across Trey Mountain. 


Winifred and Richard Morrow with Mildred 


Another crowd shot -- I should have taken more. I see Delbert, Mildred's son in the background (with some food in his hands) and Ralph Shaw (long-sleeved yellow shirt). Ron Kennedy id holding the manila envelope.

Sharing a laugh with Mildred and Cindy. Cindy was a part of that wonderful class that had to put up with me for multiple years in the mid-seventies at McHenry School.





It was so good to be with Mildred and all the Greears again! A bonus was to be with Ron Kennedy for a second time in a year. (And a third time to see Ron in the last couple of years - I saw him at his Dad's funeral.) Another was seeing one of the wonderful former students Mildred and I share: Cindy Moore, who is teaching and coaching in Haralson County these days. Saw our old cohorts Ralph Shaw and Lanky Summer and Winnie Morrow and Dorothy Turner and Sandra Lightfoot... and others I am leaving out. 
Sheila and I drove Mildred home from the Sautee-Nacoochee Community Center to Greear Lane, and with Ron got to visit with Philip too for a few minutes. Phillip even sang for us: "His Eye is on the Sparrow"
I mentioned a few of the comments I have gotten. I'll copy and forward some of the pics and comments to Mildred.

Janet Hughes Smith: Terrell, Please tell Mildred that I wish her the best and a very happy birthday. She may or may not remember me. We only worked together for four years at PMS.

Betty Smith Franklin: Love to you all--many happy memories..

David Promis: Wow...I do have to behave myself...I see the Morrows every week at my neighbors abode, I know Terrell and my good friend Ann Newman Foskey is a close friend of the Greers.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment