Monday, October 24, 2022

Spooky Tales at John C. Campbell Folk School

The evenings performers (L-R) Terrell Shaw, Denise Mount, and Kanute Rarey. I didn't catch the name of the bony photobomber.


The the folk school's main entrance.

Kanute Rarey is something. He has had a big role in establishing, reviving, assisting, promoting storytelling in a variety of venues over the last few years. On Monday I had the opportunity, thanks to Kanute, to tell stories with Kanute and Denise Mount at the famous John C. Campbell Folk School. I had a ball!

I arrived very early and had over two hours to walk around that beautiful campus and see a little of what the school is all about. 

The program itself was in the "Open House" a rustic cabin will walls o=pen from about waist height to the rafters. We had very full and enthusiastic audience. 

I opened the show with Lewis Carroll's famous nonsense poem, "Jabberwocky," then told one of my favorite spooky stories that I call "Matilda Stood on a Grave".

Kanute took the stage told one of a class of stories that I call "story stories". It was reminiscent of a Jack tale that involved a suspicious old woman,

It was such a lovely fall drive that I shot a couple of pictures with my iPhone which was attached to the dash for directions.


Since I was so early I took about 30 extra minutes to take a sentimental driving tour to the top of the hill  above the location of the house I lived in from sixth grade till ninth grade.These are the mountains we saw from our front porch 1958-1962.

This the main building at the folk school.

Blacksmithing and other metal working is taught 


In the small museum of the folk school.

The craft shop is on the lower level of this building.


I suppose this class was doing some sort of food or drink preparation.

The "Open House" was our storytelling venue for the evening.

The "Open House" again.

Another view of the "Open House".



A selfie along one of the paths.


Note the pumpkin spider.


As the sun went down the light was too interesting  not to take a few pictures.


Enlarge this pano shot to get a full view of the valley from the gardens.



The many railings around the campus show off the school's blacksmithing.


Another pano pic.







Denise Mount performing her story.



No comments:

Post a Comment