Sunday, March 11, 2007

More Nature Trail Madness

The nature trail project at our school continues to occupy my thoughts. The deadline for a pair of grants I am working on is April 27, so I need to clarify, quantify, budget, gather approvals, map, etc. Our planning day Friday was a chance for me to take an hour and a half to tromp about the woods of our campus and just beyond it. I took 80 pictures. I worked at finding a logical path down the steepest portion of my proposed general route. This is a great time to plan a route since the visibility is so good without leaves on the bushes and trees.

I also explored the Berry College woods immediately adjacent to ours...

...and found another opportunity for an extended trail (to add to my proposals at some later date!)

It turns out that the nineteenth century railroad from Rome to Summerville passed less than a quarter mile behind us...




and the ruins of a CCC camp are there including a lovely little wetland where the CCC had dammed...


...the stream that washes across the layers of sandstone where thousands of little snails gather their nourishment...



Dentaria heterophylla - Slender Toothwort (I think.)

...through open hardwood forest hillsides...


... down to our current nature walk.


Coming downstream I spy familiar territory ahead.


Our little nature walk!

A trail from our Nature Walk to the wetland would be only about o.2 miles long.

No comments:

Post a Comment