Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sunday Concert: Lily's Eyes

Lily's Eyes
from
The Secret Garden

I have had the privilege of singing this duet in two productions. I sang the Archibald Craven role as part of Prospect Theater Company's Broadway Revue at DeSoto Theater in Rome, Georgia, probably ten years ago now.

Then just four years ago we did a full staging of the play at Rome City Auditorium, under the auspices of Rome's Own Musical Ensemble. It was a particular joy to sing the role of Archibald in this production because both of my daughters also had major roles. Brannon had gorgeous solos and a wonderful dramatic part as Martha, and Lillian sang beautifully as Rose.

Here Phillip Quast as Neville (I know him primarily as Javert in Les Miserable, though I have heard the Australian Les Mis recording in which he played Valjean) and Anthony Warlow as Archibald sing one of the most dramatic and beautiful duets in musical theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment