Saturday, December 20, 2008

Old Leaves: Live Nativity Scene

Today our church family will initiate the 2008 version of our live Nativity Scene. We began this tradition over fifty years ago. I first stood in it as a teen, now I'm 61 and still look forward to those few reverent minutes in the midst of another hectic holiday season, to contemplate the birth of a poor little baby, son of a teen mother, in a smelly stable, twenty centuries years ago. We usually try to stand our turns on Christmas eve, but we will be away that night, so we'll go over this evening. Here is my post about the scene from 2006. It has links to other posts that tell of this tradition.






The live nativity scene at our church has been been presented each Christmas for the last 50 years. My family has been involved since 1962. Sheila and I have stood in it each Christmas, save one, since 1983. Here is a link to a short video report about the tradition from the Rome News-Tribune.


Fiftieth Anniversary
Trinity United Methodist Church
Live Nativity Scene


I have previously written about the Nativity Scene here and here and here and (very briefly) here.



No comments:

Post a Comment