Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gleaning Facebook: Thank you Commissioner Lee

 Here is my comment on the Romes News article (link below) about the petulant response by some on our city commission to efforts by the Coosa River Basin Initiative to have input into the proposed shopping center on our city property at the "Duck Pond" in downtown Rome.:

This greenspace/wetland is ours, the citizens of Rome. Continued use as public greenspace is the best use of this land. Sale to Ledbetter or any other private entity is short-sighted and not in our best interest or that of our children and grandchildren. What a wonderful spot in the middle of our city will this greenspace seem in a hundred years when the surrounding land is much further developed. I do not oppose all development, of course, but this is wetland, it is part of our parkland, it connects Jackson Hill with Ridge Ferry Park, it filters pollution from our urban watershed, it houses intown wildlife, it stores floodwaters that would otherwise fill stores and homes. Our city commission should listen to its citizens, and no organization better represents the environmental interests of our area than CRBI. To call its efforts for a "seat at the table" extortion is insulting to this citizen of Rome.
Thank you Sue Hamler Lee for your principled stand for our children and the future of our beautiful city.

Don Henderson
today, they tore down paradise, and put up a parking lot

Chris Frazier
Terrell, I lived in that ghastly backwater from age 5 and off and on into my 50s. When I finally left, I experienced roughly the same relief one gets with the cessation of a chronic and severe migraine. Rome and Floyd County are habitually backward, lacking vision, anti-intellectual, and viciously gossipy. With a few exceptions, the electorate consistently chooses the most primitive leaders imaginable who actually lead nothing except a march into the cul-de-sac of ancient history. Rome-Floyd County is a place that likes to see people fail. Whenever I merely hear a reference to it, I think of a grim Faulkner novel. The best that can be said about it, from a literary perspective, is that it's excellent fodder for novels about the cannibalism of anything remotely progressive. I'm glad to have escaped. I wanted to escape so badly that I effectively gnawed off one of my feet to free myself from the trap.

Terrell Shaw
Chris, people just seem to be people wherever I go. Some of the finest folks I have ever known have been Romans, and a few at the other extreme too.

Ruth Pinson
Well stated, my friend! We need to fill the mall we have, as well as all the empty strip malls, before clearing land for yet another! I would love to see an extension of the park and a walking trail along the creek.

Mary Nisbet Asbury
Does the city believe it is a blight because of the homeless living there under the bridge? I know Mary Hardin has been working hard on various projects around Burwell Creek and is a very strong advocate on this isdue.



No comments:

Post a Comment