Saturday, November 17, 2012

Gleaning Facebook: Kayak Advice?

 

I took my new kayak out for its maiden voyage this afternoon. Just twenty minutes or so from Piggy Green landing to the John Ross bridge and back. Foolishly wore jeans which were soggy with cold paddle-drip in five minutes or less. I obviously need some "guidance for the old geezer kayaker" from you old pros. It was my first time ever in a kayak! I have a reasonable amount of canoe experience, but only twenty minutes in a kayak so far.

Best cool/cold weather kayak attire?
Drip avoidance schemes?
Keeping bow wobble to a minimum?
Retrieving beverages without going for a swim? (No beverages along today, but felt like turning my inflexible self toward the stern might capsize me.)
Etc.?

Terrell Shaw
Alright, Alan , I need more than a simple "like" here!

Thom Holt
Never thought about blue jeans LOL

Sarah Anne
um.....snow pants? dont they keep you warm and dry? or what about thise things that the cranberry workers wear?!! or fly fishermen! Heck, now you can start fishing from your kayak like in that kayak bass fishing shows!  

Julie Ingram Gatanis
A friend of mine kayaks around here and she wears a wet suit.

Terrell Shaw
This is a "sit-on-top" kayak, David.
I'll bet wet-suit is 'spensive, Julie.

Robin Holt
Drip guards for your paddle.
Wet suits are cold unless you are in the water. Several companies make water proof wind gear Defoe kayakers.

Bob Doster
1. robe and slippers., 2. A good decongestant, 3. Stay sober., 4. Bobber cooler.

James Grant
I put on a upper and lower polypro medium or heavy weight with a GORE TEX paddling jacket and a light pair of shorts. For your feet a pair of heavy wool sock with some river shoes will usually keep your feet warm.Keeping you head warm will help keep your feet and hands warm

Don Henderson
drysuits run from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.
Cheap solution, hip waders and a rain coat

Terrell Shaw
You bad, Bob Doster.

Bob Doster
Had an earthier answer to no 3, but refrained due to the family nature of this tribunal. But the bobber cooler is awesome.

Nick Douglas
Goretex rainpants or waterproof, breathable knock-offs. I didn't realize double-bladed kayak paddles dripped onto the boat.

Terrell Shaw
I'm sure there's sumpin I was doing wrong, Nick ... but I didn't end up in the water so I wuzn't a complete klutz. 

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Okay, Terrell, you didn't do anything wrong. Move the drip rings down close to the blades and you will minimize drips but may never stop them completely.
Go to Walmart and go to the camping section. Buy a pair of nylon rain pants. They are about $20. Also, just wear a fleece lined nylon jacket. I wear synthetic long underwear underneath the rain pants. And if it's very cold, I wear tights under that. The water will run off both. You don't have to spend much to stay warm. Wear several thin layers of synthetic clothes, never cotton. All the natural fabrics besides wool will make you freeze when they get wet. I have a pair of "wet suit" boots that I paid about $30-40 for. I wear socks with them but they are very hard to zip up. A pair of lace-up wet weather boots work just as well. Wear something on your head. I don't know if you remember but a couple of years ago, I fell out of my kayak on the Polar Bear Paddle at the beginning. I was warm as long as I was paddling. I didn't paddle fast but steadily. I wasn't cold until I got out and then I shivered so hard, I couldn't take off my boots somebody else had too. I keep dry clothes inside our truck to change into when we are done if needed. On long paddles I take dry clothes in the hatches.
I drink Sprite and if there's no can holder, I just hold it between my legs or if you took a bottle of water you could lay it beside your leg. Not a big deal.
I didn't intend to make this so long, but I love to paddle and want you to know you don't have to spend much to have a good warm time in the winter. Call us and if we're home we'll go with you. My favorite paddle is from Dixon Landing at the soccer fields to Heritage Park. Doesn't take but a couple of hours if you dawdle along the way and can be done much faster in a hurry. 6 miles.

Terrell Shaw
Sounds like good advice, Christie. Oh. no worries, I'm gonna use that kayak. Scoped out places to get into the river behind the house today.






No comments:

Post a Comment