Monday, March 25, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: John Schulz "Keep Moving"



Storing this little gem from John Schulz for future reference: 

“ But I’m not here just to make records and money. I’m here to say something and to touch other people, sometimes in a cry of desperation: “Do you know this feeling?”

-Keith Richards in his most interesting book, “My Life”

Photo by Bill Land

I remember one cold and rainy day when Mister Cox walked down the road to visit in my greenhouse. Water was dripping from the brim of his fedora. He took his Prince Albert can out of his pocket. It was wrapped in plastic. He started build himself a smoke.
“Mister Cox, I didn’t expect to see you today.”
“Well, Mister Sholts,” he answered, “I learnt that at my age you cain’t set around all the time. Then you get old and die. The trick is to keep moving.”
I said, “So you went for a walk in the rain?”
“Hit was too wet to split firewood.”
“Mister Cox, aren’t you too old to be splitting firewood?”
“Well, Mister Sholts, I reckon if you kin do it you ain’t too old.”
I was in my early thirties then and I didn’t understand what he was saying. The more I think about Mister Cox these days, though, the more I understand.
- John Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment