Thursday, April 16, 2020

A How Come Story: Turtle on the Warpath

I have a had a great time telling this story for the last seven years as Storyteller-Naturalist at Arrowhead Environmental Education Center. I have also had several other opportunities to share this Abenaki story at Etowah Mounds State Park and other venues. I first heard the story from Joe Bruchac, a wonderful Abenaki storyteller, at the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee and afterward asked his permission to re-tell it. He graciously agreed. Check out Joe's stories and, during this time of quarantine while Joe and other storytellers are stuck at home, it would be a great time to order one or two of his books or CDs to read or hear this story and others from native American people. Find out more about Joe at this link: https://www.josephbruchac.com.

This is my version of course. I have set the story not in the Northeast woodlands of the continent, but right here in what was once Mississippian/Creek/Cherokee country.

One note: I always try in my lessons to remind kids that native Americans are still an important people in our country, not just historical figures. Many, like Joe Bruchac, are working to preserve their languages and cultures. In reviewing my video I was sorry to realize that I had not made that plain in this video. The Abenaki number about 10,000 nowadays and many still call Vermont and bordering states and provinces home.




No comments:

Post a Comment