Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Lion's Paw: Preface

Fifty years ago this year my girlfriend told me about a favorite book she had read in sixth grade. She said she thought it would be a great book for me to read to my students at Liberty Elementary School in Putnam County, West Virginia where I was teaching. She loaned me her old Scholastic Books 35¢ edition of The Lion's Paw by Robb White. I loved it and my students loved it. It is now my favorite children's book and I have read it to every homeroom I've taught since then. 
With everyone home waiting out this awful virus, I thought I might read it on video for you all, so I wrote to Leslie Saunders who holds the copyright for the book her stepfather wrote. AND just yesterday I got a reply from her saying that would be just great. 
If you like the book --- and I bet you will --- you can order your very own copy to share with the kids in your life from:
www.thelionspaw.org

There are 17 videos. I'll make a separate post for each. Feel free to skip this first one. It is just my rambling history of my association with this wonderful children's novel and how I came to have permission to read it for those kids stuck at home during the Covid-19 Pandemic.





No comments:

Post a Comment