Monday, November 02, 2020

Gleaning Facebook: From Ray Atkins

From Ray Atkins Facebook page today:

In the pictures I saw in the Rome News-Tribune this morning, there were an awful lot of ecstatic Trump supporters at the rally last night, which blows right out of the water my theory that these folks were abducted and forced to go against their will while their children and pets were held hostage. I guess they wanted to be there, and that they thought they were doing something important for America, themselves, and their families, and that they got something from this experience, and hopefully it was not Covid-19. The fact that I don’t understand this devotion and never will does not detract from their beliefs in the least; it may, in fact, strengthen them.

Nor do I think they were all bad people. Some were, I’m sure, just like some Democrats I know kind of suck, but they mostly just looked like folks caught up in something bigger than themselves. In my opinion they are naïve, and wrong. They have been gulled and gamed and manipulated by a big-league grifter into believing in a false narrative. But my opinion of their beliefs only matters to me, and I suspect that their opinions of my beliefs are similar to my opinion of theirs.
For the record, I think that the last time someone so harmful came to town was back in (18)65 when Sherman rolled through and burned the place down. I think that Trump may be the worst human being I have ever encountered, and he is certainly the worst President this country has ever seen. The polls say he will lose handily, but they said that last time with Hillary, as well, although the fact that Joe Biden does not have a uterus may help his chances.
So whatever happens Tuesday, happens, and then all of the big players will go home, and I will be here in Rome with all of these people who don’t think like I do. I will see them at the Kroger, and teach them in my classes, and nod at them in passing. I have to live with them all, and I need to be getting comfortable with that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment