Monday, June 11, 2007

PTSW: Man's Best Friend

Several weeks ago my cousin, Don Baird, commented on one of my weekly poetry posts and attached this poem of his which had been published in The Wall Street Journal's humor column, "Pepper and Salt". If you use this with young students, you will need to define 'excelsior'.

The Morning News post-Fido, AKA "excelsior".

Let's start this week with a little humor from my cousin.

To a Puppy

May I present these tattered shoes,
These paw prints by the door,
And what was once the morning's news
That's now excelsior

These little deeds, though not a lot
to bug one to no end,
Surely have me beat as how you got
That title 'Man's Best Friend.'
by Don Baird


-----------

The series of posts, A Poem to Start the Week, is my little anthology of poetry, many of which I have used with my students in elementary schools during 27 years of teaching.



Previous Poems to Start the Week:
Spelling is Tough Stough!
Blue MarbleTacks, Splinters, Apples and Stars
Oh, Captain, My Captain!MetaphorIntroducion to Poetry
Loveliest of TreesFlax-Golden TalesThe Dinosaurs Are Not All Dead
Owl PelletsMummy Slept LateJust My Size
The Kindest Things I KnowMiles to GoLove that Brother
Oh, Frabjous Day!

Other Posts about Children's Literature:

The Lion's Paw top kid's OOP book!
Harry
Aslan is Dead!
A Teacher's Life

You can read some of my own efforts at poetry here.
And then there's Alien Invasion.

A weblog dedicated to Poetry for Children.
Watch Sonja Cole's reviews of children's books at Bookwink.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment