Saturday, February 25, 2006

Five for Friday



The Friday Five!

1) When does liking someone a lot become loving that person?

As those of you who have known me for a while have no doubt. I have strong opinions on this topic. What an opening.

Love is commitment.

Lust is not Love.
Warm and fuzzy feelings are not Love.
Emotional dependence is not Love.
Admiration is not Love.

To answer the question:

Liking someone a lot becomes love when the two of you make a mutual commitment to love.


I have, of course, waxed eloquently (wink) upon this topic in the past.

2) Is there a job you would do for free, and is it your current job?

Yes and No.
I would (and do, often) act, sing and tell stories for free. I'd love to be able to support my family doing those things.
Although I enjoy teaching and would probably do some educational volunteer work in retirement, I'd love to be able to devote the next few years of my life to acting, singing and storytelling.

3) What is one person/thing that inspired you to take action of some sort?

Erich Fromm, through his book The Art of Loving, inspired me to ask Sheila Matthews out again. There are many other examples, but I'll pick him right now.

4) Though you might not believe in it, would you like fate to exist?

No way. How fatalistic. I have never understood why we humans romanticize fate. Our souls and minds and reason separate us from the amoeba. How much more romantic for a fully conscious, soulful, rational person to choose to join me, of all people, in a lifetime commitment. Wow!

5) What's the kindest thing that anyone has ever done for you?

Sheila's continuing acceptance of me despite my glaring faults and deficiencies.


*****

I discovered The Friday Five through Mike at Musings and Meanderings. Today's questions were right down my alley, as you can see. I enjoy Mike's blog. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment