Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sunday Concert: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

Asbury College Men's Glee Club
When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

One of my favorite memories of my undergraduate days at Asbury College in the late sixties came when we sang this song in chapel. Asbury had a strong music program, lots of music majors, and lots of practice time with three, count them, three REQUIRED chapel services each week. When ever we sang this song the gorgeous pipe organ and piano went silent and the jam-packed Hughes Auditorium filled a cappella with soaring (and plunging) four-part harmony.

The arrangement you will hear is good, but is not my very favorite, I think I prefer just the standard hymn arrangement. But when I went looking for this song on youTube, imagine my surprise when I played this one! Right there in the middle of the front row of the Glee Club you will see a slim redheaded fellow who is a favorite of mine, one of my three redheaded nephews, Benjamin. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment