Friday, July 13, 2007

PTSW: At last, meadows, trees, and hills long known...

The gallavanting is over for now.

I'll post a report or two on our doings in New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York City, soon.

Perhaps our journey was not so eventful as those of Bilbo and Frodo, but they were ours and will be fondly remembered. So here, a few days late, a poem that comes to mind after a night's sound rest in my my own bed.


Roads Go Ever On And On

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.
Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Note: Much to my chagrin, I have discovered that my e-mail box has been full and messages have been refused since July 3. Please resend or forward any e-mails I have missed from that period and please accept my apologies! My public e-mail address is thelimb (at) mac (dot) com.

-----------

The series of posts, A Poem to Start the Week, is my little anthology of poetry, many of which I have used with my students in elementary schools during 27 years of teaching.



Previous Poems to Start the Week:
Bag of ToolsCarpe DiemPoems About PoetryMan's Best Friend
Spelling is Tough Stough!
Blue MarbleTacks, Splinters, Apples and Stars
Oh, Captain, My Captain!MetaphorIntroducion to Poetry
Loveliest of TreesFlax-Golden TalesThe Dinosaurs Are Not All Dead
Owl PelletsMummy Slept LateJust My Size
The Kindest Things I KnowMiles to GoLove that Brother
Oh, Frabjous Day!

Other Posts about Children's Literature:

The Lion's Paw top kid's OOP book!
Harry
Aslan is Dead!
Multiplying People, Rice, and Readers
A Teacher's Life

You can read some of my own efforts at poetry here.
And then there's Alien Invasion.

A weblog dedicated to Poetry for Children.
Watch Sonja Cole's reviews of children's books at Bookwink.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment