Friday, December 28, 2012

Gleaning Facebook: Jagdeep on Les Miserables, the Movie

I wrote about this movie a day or two ago and our friend Jagdeep Singh responded with his thoughtful review.

-------

Just saw Les Miserables the movie, and once again, the self acclaimed critic in me can't resist the temptation to write something about it, even though I am not sure if many of us are on this bandwagon

🙂 So here it goes (Sharing from what I already wrote on a Terrell Shaw's thread). Overall -- quite satisfying, I give Tom Hooper credit for taking over this daunting task and he did it quite well. I haven't seen or read any interviews or reviews by Boublil or Schonberg themselves. They are VERY harsh critics and in general do not let anybody play with their "baby" (their words not mine) without their blessings, so I assume they approved. Personally for me -- good parts -- the mood is captured well, the story is told like it should be. Hathaway's "I dream" was outstanding, I didn't really think likes of Lea Salonga or Elaine Paige could ever be out-done. Marius and Enjolras were very strong, so was Eponine (Samantha Barks is the Eponine from 25th Anniversary Westend Company). Cossette was flawless. Hugh Jackman acted well, sang strong but with slightly shrill/nasal voacals (I end up comparing to Alfie Boe as I heard him first). Now bad parts -- Casting Crowe as Javert seems disingenous, wonder whose call it was (and I am a Russell Crowe fan). His "Stars" and Soliloquy were disappointing. I am not even trying to compare him vocally to Quast (from 10th) or Lewis (from 25th) Anniv casts, but he somewhat lacked the raw passion they put in those lyrics. Still overall, the whole experience was very satisfying. For the money we spent -- around 30 dollars, it was like seeing an actual hit Broadway show. BTW, did anybody notice Colm Wilkinson (the original Jean Valjean) as the Bishop in the movie? -- Jagdeep Singh

No comments:

Post a Comment