Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: Mary Doster

I just got off the phone with Bob Doster. Mary has died.
I will miss that woman. I could depend on a bear-hug from her every time I saw her. Bob and Earlene brought her up here for our Independence Day barbecue in 2012 and we had a great time.
As you can read at this picture I posted years ago, she was my fellow actor and fellow Democrat. We were officers together in the Floyd County Democratic Party for many years. She was Auntie Em to my Wizard/Marvel in the Wizard of Oz in 1993.
On her 90th birthday (in December, I think) Bob says he and Earlene took Mary to Agatha's in Atlanta for the dinner theater/murder mystery. They involve the audience there and gave Mary a line or two to say. Her eyes and ears had betrayed her by that time, but she memorized the lines and wowed the actors and audience with her performance - which included, not surprisingly, some improvisation!
Soon after that Mary came down with pneumonia and never fully recovered.
Visitation will be Friday at Transfiguration Episcopal Church and the funeral at the church on Saturday at 11.



Mary Doster has been my friend for most of my adulthood. Before that she was the mother of a friend, Bob. She has been involved with two activities close to my heart for all that time: Rome Little Theater and the Democratic Party. This is the photo sheet she used to send for prospective auditions. She has appeared in several films as well as many community plays. She was Auntie Em with my Professor Marvel/Wizard in Wizard of Oz.

Mary Louise
What a beloved Lady she was! ML


Roger Wade
R. I. P. Mary Doster..


Tim Shiflett
A great lady. I shall never forget all of the support and kindness she gave us up here, in Chattooga.


Bob Doster
All rite mighty fine. Thanks.


Beckie Gurley
Do you know what time Friday?


Wendy Davis
Thanks for sharing these photos and fond memories!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment