Monday, November 26, 2018

Gleaning Facebook: Juglans Nigra

I was amazed when I found this black walnut in this condition in our back yard. I Took some pictures and decided to make a Facebook quiz out of it. I got lots of responses. There was a winner but she has yet to collect her generous prize.

---------------------------

Facebook, November 26, 2018

Here’s a brain teaser: ponder what in the world happened to this black walnut from my back yard. There’s a prize if you figure it out before the deadline. I will treat the person who first correctly answers this to a cuppa joe on my back porch at no charge. The deadline is when I tire of waiting for answers.

GO!

-------------

And here are the replies from contestants...


Ruth Demeter: Lawn mower? Grew into a branch? Very small storm trooper tried to turn it into a helmet? I think those guesses are worth at least a tea.


Ronald Niklasson: Chainsaw

Barron Brown: Saw mark

Frank Norris: Chisel

Jane Cox Slickman: Very determined woodpecker

Diane Warner: Grew on a small sharp object

Joyce Mink: Dressed up as spiderman for Halloween and lost his cape...

George Barton: squirrel

Brenda Norton Carroll: See drawing and the carving is to well defined to be an animal. Someone in past did this?

Quinn Scott Smith: Looks like it grew around/into a piece of chain link fence.

ML McCorkle: Hot sword?

Larry Bostick: It grew around a pop top

Carla Byram: Weed-eater... Remodeling neighbor

Sunny Shropshire Knauss: Stray Chainsaw swipe

Darlene Gray Buffington: Fell and hit something, hopefully not your head..haha

Bill Cox: I think it grew around another branch or wire running through the tree or close to it. Who knows if it was on the ground when you found it. Please do tell at some point the suspense will drive me nuts, and if you do not really know just make something up I would never tell.

Diane Warner: Bill Cox and Terrell That’s what I said....

Fred Gould: Appears slit may have been punched into walnut. Still pondering the what. 

Patricia Ford: Looks like someone put a band around it before it was through growing.

Daniel Eason: Lawnmower blade.

Sandra Pride: That was my guess,too.

Daniel Eason: Or an edger blade.

Fred Gould: Blue Donkey?... Lapel pin?...Campaign button/Pin?... Coffee?

Annie Shields: You hit it with a 5 iron. I like mine with Half & Half

Terrell Shaw: No one has gotten real close yet... here’s a hint: I have strong political opinions and am not shy about sharing them. Also I tend toward the sentimental and enjoy keepsakes of past endeavors.

Daniel Eason: Yard sign spike went through it.

Denise Desoye: What happened to the black walnut? It grew into a story!

Darlene Gray Buffington: It fell and hit your political sign..haha Go blue!


SCROLL DOWN FOR SOLUTION


Keep SCROLLING....






Keep SCROLLING....












Keep SCROLLING....


AND THE WINNER IS....





ding-ding-ding! (I’m glad it hit the “Save Rome’s Central Park” sign rather than my noggin!)



Delene Gray Buffington!!!   











Delene Gray Buffington: I will let you know when I can have a cuppa joe, looking forward to it...lol.. That has to be some kind of sign..hahaha
Terrell Shaw: The coffee pot is ready anytime we're in town, Delene!  Of course you'll have to sign a legal release in case you get assaulted by the walnut tree! 
Darlene: No problem, I have a hickory tree, I understand..haha
Terrell: Still, a bike helmet is recommended








No comments:

Post a Comment