Monday, January 18, 2021

A Virtual Walk for Peace and Justice



For about twenty years on the Monday of the Martin Luther King Jr weekend I have joined like-minded folks to walk from First Avenue, in sight of the Confederate memorial, up a Broad Street filled with nearly sixty years of my memories to the Rome City Auditorium. I have written about that meaningful mile several times. 

This morning I listened to one of my favorite podcasts, "Words Matter", and heard MLK's own voice reading his famous "Letter From the Birmingham Jail". I knew immediately that that recording needed to be my post for this day. Please give his words a listen this morning. Much of it can apply to the situation we find ourselves today decades later when fascism and racism has raised its ugly head so bloodily at our Capitol building with incitement from our president. 

Sheila and I will meet Lillian and other family members later this morning at a graveside service for her cousin Thyle Trawick who died this week, so we may have had to miss the march anyway today, but I hate that the pandemic has stolen another important moment from us. 

Here are links to a few previous posts ...

Walking for Peace and Justice - 2006

MLK March - 2007

President Carter's Remarks at Coretta King's Funeral

Cruelly Treated

No comments:

Post a Comment