Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Living Color

 I fell for click-bait on Facebook again and downloaded the free version of a colorizing app. Here are the nine formerly black & white photos I managed to convert to color before it cut me off pending my coughing up about thirty dollars. The first three b&w photos handy were in frames in the den where I was sitting. Then I went to the shelf where I keep my grandmother's -- Lillian Ophelia Wilkerson (Shaw) -- albums and picked out a few more. 

A photo Mike Bock took of us in the early seventies along the Tear-Britches Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness. The colors in our clothes are about right! How about that.

Here Sheila enters our cabin on Lake Creek in southern Floyd County Georgia about 1973. Mike also took the photo.

This b&w was taken in the Colegian offices at Asbury College Sheila's senior year when she was the editor of that newspaper.

I had no idea my great-grandmother's blouse was red.  Eula Amanda Childers (Wilkerson) died at only 29 in 1911 leaving three young daughters. Her only son had died as a three month old baby in 1907.

My great-grandparents Charles Rueben Wilkerson and Eula Amanda Childers (Wilkerson)

My great-grandfather Charles Rueben Wilkerson and his second wife, my "Grandma Wilkerson" Mattie Kiser (Wilkerson)


My "Grandma Wilkerson" Mattie Kiser (Wilkerson) milking a cow

My great-grandfather Charles Rueben Wilkerson and his second wife, my "Grandma Wilkerson" Mattie Kiser (Wilkerson) with their blended family. The eldest, my grandmother Lillian Ophelia Wilkerson (Shaw) is not in this photo.

The three daughters of my great-grandparents Charles Rueben Wilkerson and Eula Amanda Childers (Wilkerson): Ruby Allene Wilkerson (Norton), Jessie Mae Wilkerson (Mills), and Lillian Ophelia Wilkerson (Shaw)



3 comments:

  1. My B/W masterpiece has been colorized! Next in line, I guess it will be Ansel Adams? Just kidding. These colorized versions are fun and look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was just curious. It is interesting that the program can actually come close to reading the actual colors from the black and white densities, I guess. The fairly realistic coloring in Ansel Bock's shots make me fairly confident that my great-granny was really wearing a red blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love that this can identify long forgotten colors. Of course, I'm impressed that you remember the color of your outfits from, what was it — 62 years ago? I think I still have a jacket I'm still wearing from back then.

    ReplyDelete