Friday, January 22, 2021

Hank has died.

 


First, before I tell this story, let me make it clear: I still love and admire Hank Aaron and I don't blame him.

Some of my McHenry students from 1974 may remember us watching the Braves on classroom TV in hopes we'd see the historic homerun. Unfortunately he waited for a night game.

Hank ties the Babe

Hank hits Number 715

Hank hits Number 755

Hank hits Number 1

One time when my little brother David was about 10 (1968 or so) I took him to a Braves game at the old round Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium. After the game he and I stood outside the players entrance with other fans and our game program to try to get Hank Aaron's autograph -- and we lucked out. Hank was gracious and signed David's program and David was thrilled. 

As we walked away David was waving that program around in joy when some little devil of a kid ran by us grabbed the program out of David's hand and was gone.  I saw Hank was still signing so I gave David something else to get signed, maybe my program, and he got back in line. 

BUT when David finally got back to Hank he recognized David and said, "I've already signed one for you." and turned away before David could explain. 

Oh well. He had two "conversations" with our hero.

Henry Aaron was a great athlete and a good person, who like everyone with dark skin in America had to face obstacles the rest of us, whatever other roadblocks we face, do not have to confront. He even endured racist death threats as he neared Babe Ruth's record in 1974. I am sorry Hank had to witness the resurgence of white supremacy and racial hatred during the last four years, but I am glad he lived long enough to see the bigotry voted out and even impeached a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment