Friday, January 02, 1970

Carol's Birthday Party August 1959?

Judging from the ages of the kids I guessing this was 1959. It is Mary Carol Shaw (Johnston)'s birthday party in the back yard of the parsonage on Dalton Street in Ellijay, Georgia where we lived from June of 1958 till February of 1962 while Daddy served as pastor at Watkins Memorial Methodist Church.


Carol Shaw Johnston
This was my birthday party in Ellijay. Not sure how old I was - but I remember the dress I'm wearing in the photo. We have another photo of me at that same party. I don't recall seeing this one before.

Deborah Shaw Lewis
Oh! I remember that party was SO much fun! Thanks for sharing the photo.

Terrell Shaw
Y'all do some more tagging if you can. Is that Beth in the rocker in the background? Is that Patsy Jo with the bow in her hair? Which one, if any, is me? Must be some Westmoreland boys there.

Thom Holt
I do not know Richi Holt but he is a Holt "showoff"

Terrell Shaw
Richie was a great kid, my age, who lived with several siblings on a farm southwest of Ellijay. I think thta farm is under Carter's Lake now. Tragically Richie died, of cancer I think, in his late twenties.
Any of your Holts from Gilmer County, Thom?
Tag some more, Debi.
Is that Carol's back next to you? Is the next one me? I see the Patsy Jo Wimpee, I think. Is that name correct? Is Beth in the pic? Is that her standing up from the chair?

Deborah Shaw Lewis
Terrell, isn't that Carol, over by the tree, with the white collar on her dress? It looks like it could be Beth, back in the rocking chair. I remember NO names of children from Ellijay, other than Martha Weaver and the Westmoreland boys. Wasn't the one Beth's age, Hal Westmoreland?


Ruth Baird Shaw
Yes Terry..that is Patsy jo with the big bow in her hair. Her mother was the church pianist. Thom would be glad to claim that family of Holts. In fact we had two diffferent Holt families. All realy great people. Richie did die and Raymond...just a couple of years younger was killed in an accident...on the farm (thrown from a horse???...f i remeber correctl????) Carol they had a daughteryour age...Vivian...I beleive. 


Martin Penland Teem
I recognize the group and i recognize the parsonage. Those were good times. Richie's brother was killed in a tractor/mower accident.

Martin Penland Teem
PJ = Patsy Jane Wimpey

Terrell Shaw
Patsy Jane! PJ! Yes.

Terrell Shaw
Can you identify any of the others, Marty? That could be me on my knees in a white t-shirt? Or maybe I was snubbing Debi's party.

Ruth Baird Shaw
Martin...I have not been in Ellijay for a visit in about 12 years ago...so have lost touch...Do you still live there? How are your parents?


The tree, decorated with balloons here, is a Catalpa. Every year it was the host plant for many "Catalpa worm" caterpillars. Those made great trout bait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment