Friday, January 02, 1970

The 4-H Hour August 26, 1961

In August of 1961 our Gilmer County 4-H Club was invited to participate in the 4-H Hour television show on WAGA-TV channel 5 in Atlanta. Since Gilmer is famous as the Apple Capital of the state our program emphasized that industry.  I know that the county extension agent Lloyd Smith was involved in organizing our program. I think he drove the car I was in. I think Miss Mable Hensley helped Gloria Dover (our accompanist) and Charlyse Poindexter and me prepare for our duet "Around the World:. I remember piling into the vehicle -- there were no seat belts -- that was extremely crowded for the. drive to Atlanta. I remember that Ruel Parker demonstrated methods of grafting different varieties of apple onto trees. I remember that someone demonstrated baking an apple-upside-down cake, and that we got to eat the results afterwards. 

Our family went next door to Logan Funeral Home on Saturday morning, August 26, 1961, to watch the 8 a.m. program on their more reliable television. I was embarrassed that my voice was too loud and (it seemed to me) overwhelmed Charlyse's quieter voice.

I wonder if those videotapes were preserved! Wouldn't it be interesting to see and hear that program sixty years later?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment