Friday, January 02, 1970

Gleaning Facebook: Milstead Marines

I saw this picture many times when I was growing up. It is of Daddy's platoon at Fort Pendleton in northern San Diego County California in 1943.  My friend from my toddler days, Galen Foster, sent me a digital copy  in 2013 and I posted it on Facebook on Veterans Day 2013.


1110 Platoon USMC, San Diego, 1943
Thanks to Galen Dale Foster for sending along this scan. My Dad, Charles Columbus Shaw is second from the right, front row. Galen's Dad, Grover Foster, is second from the right, back row. I made detail pics of each.

1110 Platoon USMC (detail)
Grover Foster of Milstead, Georgia

1110 Platoon USMC (detail)
Cpl. Charles Columbus Shaw of Milstead, Georgia
This picture of Grover Foster is also from his son Galen. The Fosters were our next door neighbors and friends on Elm Street in Milstead during the 40s.


Angie, my cousin,  recently found a copy of the same picture among some pictures from my grandmother that passed down to her branch of the family..

This fom my cousin Angie Shaw Bryant's Facebook, February 9, 2017:

Mama and I found some pictures in a box that came from Mama Shaw's house today.
This picture was in an envelope with "Ruth" written on it. Have any of you seen this before? Is this uncle Charles?

1110th Platoon, US Marine Corps, 1943, San Diego, California


Detail of the above picture showing my father,
Cpl. Charles Columbus Shaw (second from right, front row) 

Janice Shaw Crouse
Yes, Daddy is middle of bottom row! What fun!

In big picture, Daddy is second from right on front row


Angie Shaw Bryant
I thought so! 


Marcie Shaw
That's so funny. I never met him, but knew which one he was because Jeff looks so much like him.


Janice Shaw Crouse
I wish you had met him, Marcie Shaw. All the Shaw men had fabulous personalities. Such fun and laughter. Daddy was the most generous person I ever met.


Annie Scarbrough
Wow, Marcie, I never realized Jackie looked so much like Charles at that age and of course Jeff looks just like Jackie at that age. Such fun guys.


Angie Shaw Bryant
I want to make a copy of it, then I will send it to Aunt Ruth!


Carol Shaw Johnston
I have not seen these photos before. Thanks, Angie!


Andrea Shaw Hayes
Oh how awesome!! So handsome!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment