Friday, January 02, 1970

Time Machine: Graduation May 21. 1937

My understanding is that the Porterdale School in 1937 had only first through ninth grades. For the next school year 1937-38, my Mother would ride a bus to attend first Livingston School (near Salem I think?). Later, when she was able to carpool with another Porterdale student, she transferred to Covington High School which was nearer. Soon the Porterdale school would add tenth and eleventh grades and become a high school. First Daddy in 1942, and then Mother in 1943, would finish the classes they needed for their high school diplomas -- after marriage and the births of Janice (1939) and Joan (1941).  All three diplomas are signed by the principal, Maud King, and the Superintendent (H.M.)? Pittman. I wish I had recordings or good notes of my Mother telling about this as she did a time or two late in life. Perhaps my siblings can add details? I found this diploma along with both high school diplomas (see later entries) in a box of old letters and papers in 2024.



No comments:

Post a Comment